Determine the Electric Field

In summary: Just remember that the direction of the force and the direction of the field are opposite to each other.In summary, an electric field with a magnitude of 2.5N directed to the left acts on a negative charge of -5.0C, resulting in an electric field of 0.5N/C directed to the right. This is determined through the use of the vector equation, where the force and charge values are plugged in to solve for the electric field. The negative charge is defined as the condition where the force exerted on the charge is opposite to the direction of the field, resulting in the charge moving in the same direction as the force.
Balsam

Homework Statement

An electric field with a magnitude of 2.5N directed to the left, acts on a negative charge of -5.0C. Determine the electric field in which the charge is located.

Give. FE=2.5N
q=-5.0C

Homework Equations

FE[/B]=qε

The Attempt at a Solution

ε[/B]=2.5N/5.0C=0.5N/C. I don't know how to find the direction. The answer is 0.5N/C,
but I don't know how to get that direction. I guess we have to assume the positive test charge is to the right of q and figure out the direction it would move as a result of FE applied on it by q. That doesn't really make sense though.

Edit: I don't know why the formatting is weird. Also, please help- my exam is tomorrow!​

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use vector equation ##\mathbf F = q \mathbf E##. With ##\mathbf F = -2.5 \hat x## and ##q = -5\hspace{2mm} C##, solve for ##\mathbf E##.

blue_leaf77 said:
Use vector equation ##\mathbf F = q \mathbf E##. With ##\mathbf F = -2.5 \hat x## and ##q = -5\hspace{2mm} C##, solve for ##\mathbf E##.
I did, but I don't know how to find the direction

You did, then please write out your answer for ##\mathbf E##, note that the bold symbol denotes vector notation so your answer must consist of a number and the unit vector.

blue_leaf77 said:
You did, then please write out your answer for ##\mathbf E##, note that the bold symbol denotes vector notation so your answer must consist of a number and the unit vector.
Ok, and how do you find the direction?

If you really have calculated ##\mathbf E##, not just ##|\mathbf E|##, then show it in your next comment.

blue_leaf77 said:
If you really have calculated ##\mathbf E##, not just ##|\mathbf E|##, then show it in your next comment.

My teacher said you're not supposed to plug in - signs into the equations for fields because it implies direction, so we only use magnitudes

I don't know in which manner your teacher wants you to find the direction, but the formal way is to use the vector equation. Alternatively, you can use the definition of negative charge. A negative charge is defined to be the condition such that the field the particle is exposed to exert a force in an opposite direction to that field.

blue_leaf77 said:
I don't know in which manner your teacher wants you to find the direction, but the formal way is to use the vector equation. Alternatively, you can use the definition of negative charge. A negative charge is defined to be the condition such that the field the particle is exposed to exert a force in an opposite direction to that field.

I'm confused about the wording of the question. Usually we use a positive test charge along with the given charge. Is the test charge applying the force on q? Then it would be to the right of q since the force is directed to the left. And then q would move to the right as it is attracted by the positive test charge?

Balsam said:
Then it would be to the right of q since the force is directed to the left.
That's indeed the definition of negative charge when applied to the current problem at hand.
Balsam said:
And then q would move to the right as it is attracted by the positive test charge?
No, the charge will move in the same direction as the force, not the field.

blue_leaf77 said:
That's indeed the definition of negative charge when applied to the current problem at hand.

No, the charge will move in the same direction as the force, not the field.
But the answer is

Balsam said:
Then it would be to the right of q since the force is directed to the left
You already arrived at the correct answer there.

1. What is the definition of electric field?

The electric field is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its vicinity.

2. How is the electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. It can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the electric potential with respect to distance.

3. What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system or volts per meter (V/m) in the CGS system.

4. What is the significance of electric field in physics?

Electric fields play a fundamental role in many physical phenomena, such as the movement of charged particles, the behavior of electric circuits, and the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

5. How can the direction of electric field be determined?

The direction of electric field can be determined by placing a positive test charge in the field. The direction of the force exerted on the test charge will be in the same direction as the electric field. Additionally, the direction of the electric field lines can also indicate the direction of the field.