1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the exponent(s) α>0 so f'(0) exists

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    Determine α>0 so that f'(0) exists

[tex]f_{\alpha }(x)=|x|^{\alpha }sin\left (\frac{1}{x} \right ) , \left [x\neq 0, f_{\alpha }(x)=0 \right ][/tex]

I derived the function in two cases, one where x<0 and one x>0, and saw that we get x in a denominator three times, As I understand it, it does not matter what α is since f'(0), atm, is undefined. I tried to move around and see if I could get rid of the x`s, but I failed.
    I also tried to see if I could substitute something(x=e^lnx), but again no luck.

I do not think it is possible to try to find an inverse in some way, since in the end I think that I would get stuck with some x in the denominator.

However, I'm still not sure how some α could fix the x`s in the denominators...
    All in all I´m quite lost and have no idea how to find α or(if thats the case) show that α is irrelevant

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?