What formula should be used to find the Fourier series of an even function?

In summary, a Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using trigonometric functions. It is calculated by finding coefficients through integration and relates to a Fourier transform. It has applications in various fields, but not all functions can be perfectly represented by a Fourier series.
J6204

Homework Statement

In the following problem I am trying to extend the function $$f(x) = x $$ defined on the interval $$(0,\pi)$$ into the interval $$(-\pi,0)$$ as a even function. Then I need to find the Fourier series of this function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I believe I have extending the function onto the interval $(-\pi,0)$ correctly below.
$$f(x) = -x, (-\pi,0)$$
I am having a little trouble understanding the question. I believe I need to find the Fourier series of this function which is now -x. Since the function is now an even function the Fourier series should just consist of the terms a_0 and a_n since b_n has sin attached to it making it a odd function and therefore making it 0
However I am a little confused what formula now to use,
should I use the following formulas? and if so what is L? once I get these matters figured out I can proceed myself with the calculations, thanks!
$$f(x) = \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} a_n cos(nx)$$
$$a_0 = \frac{2}{L} \int^L_0f(x)dx$$
$$a_n = \frac{2}{L}\int^L_0f(x)cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})dx$$

Physics news on Phys.org
J6204 said:

Homework Statement

In the following problem I am trying to extend the function $$f(x) = x $$ defined on the interval $$(0,\pi)$$ into the interval $$(-\pi,0)$$ as a even function. Then I need to find the Fourier series of this function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I believe I have extending the function onto the interval $(-\pi,0)$ correctly below.
$$f(x) = -x, (-\pi,0)$$
I am having a little trouble understanding the question. I believe I need to find the Fourier series of this function which is now -x. Since the function is now an even function the Fourier series should just consist of the terms a_0 and a_n since b_n has sin attached to it making it a odd function and therefore making it 0
However I am a little confused what formula now to use,
should I use the following formulas? and if so what is L? once I get these matters figured out I can proceed myself with the calculations, thanks!
$$f(x) = \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} a_n cos(nx)$$
$$a_0 = \frac{2}{L} \int^L_0f(x)dx$$
$$a_n = \frac{2}{L}\int^L_0f(x)cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})dx$$
The function ##f(x) = x##, for ##x \in (0,\pi)##, extends as an even function to ##(-\pi,0)## just by using $$f(x) = |x|, \; x \in (-\pi,\pi).$$

The general formula is
$$a_n = \frac{1}{L} \int_{-L}^L f(x) \cos \left( \frac{n \pi x}{L} \right) \, dx,$$
but that becomes what you wrote above when ##f(x)## is an even function.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a series of trigonometric functions. It can be used to decompose any periodic function into a sum of simpler trigonometric functions, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

2. How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves finding the coefficients for each trigonometric function in the series. These coefficients can be found by integrating the original function over one period and using the orthogonality of trigonometric functions.

3. What is a Fourier transform and how does it relate to a Fourier series?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function from the time or space domain to the frequency domain. A Fourier series is a special case of a Fourier transform, where the function is periodic and the frequency domain is discrete.

4. What are the applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used for signal processing, image processing, data compression, solving differential equations, and more.

5. Can any function be represented by a Fourier series?

In theory, any periodic function can be represented by a Fourier series. However, the convergence of the series may be an issue for certain functions, and some functions may not have a valid Fourier series representation.