Determine the height to which the center of the baton travels

In summary, the problem involves a baton twirler throwing a baton straight up and calculating the height to which it travels above the release point. Using a kinematic equation, the student attempted to solve for the displacement but got the wrong answer. After using the formula for angular acceleration and plugging it into another equation, they came close to the correct answer but experienced some rounding errors.
sweetwilliam

Homework Statement

a baton twirler throws a baton straight up in the air, it goes up and comes straight back down. it completes 4 rev. ignoring air resistance and assuming the angular speed is 1.80 rev/s , determine the height to which the center of the baton travels above the point of release.

Homework Equations

i tried to use a kinematic eq. x=1/2(vnot+v)t

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
i tried that equation and solved for x, i put zero for vnot and 1.8 for v. i fount t to be 2.22 seconds i got my answer to be 2m but its wrong ...thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1.8 is the angular velocity. Time is correct. Again initial velocity is not zero. You are using the equation in linear form so you will have use linear velocity and displacement only.

ok so i used the formula to find angular acceleration then used that answer and put it into this...theta=(wnot)t + 1/2 (alpha)(t^2) i got 6.08 the answer in the book is 6.05m so must just be some rounding errors. thanks!

1. How do you determine the height to which the center of the baton travels?

The height to which the center of the baton travels can be determined by recording the maximum height reached by the baton during its flight.

2. What factors can affect the height of the baton's center of mass?

The height of the baton's center of mass can be affected by the initial velocity and angle at which it is thrown, air resistance, and the height from which it is released.

3. Why is it important to determine the height to which the center of the baton travels?

Determining the height to which the center of the baton travels can provide insight into the performance of the thrower and can be used to analyze and improve their technique.

4. How can you measure the height of the baton's center of mass?

The height of the baton's center of mass can be measured using tools such as a ruler, measuring tape, or a motion sensor. The measurement should be taken from the ground to the highest point reached by the baton.

5. Are there any other methods to determine the height to which the center of the baton travels?

Yes, there are other methods such as using video analysis software or performing calculations based on the initial velocity and angle of the throw. However, direct measurement is the most accurate method.