1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the inverse

1. Aug 13, 2003 #1
    Could someone show me how to determine the inverse to this
    Any method

A solution today would be great!!

A= 2 1 -3 1
    -3 -2 0 2
    2 1 0 -1
    1 0 1 2

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

step one: enter the matrix into mathematica...

er... jk. :smile:

I presume you know how to do row reduction in the context of solving equations right?

The work done in inverting a matrix is the same as in solving a system of equations. You first adjoin an identity matrix to your matrix (instead of adjoining a single column). e.g.

Code (Text):

/  2  1 -3  1 |  1  0  0  0 \
    | -3 -2  0  2 |  0  1  0  0 |
    |  2  1  0 -1 |  0  0  1  0 |
    \  1  0  1  2 |  0  0  0  1 /

Now, you row reduce your original matrix, just like you would when solving a system of equations. You have to fully row reduce it so the left hand matrix has a diagonal of all 1's and 0's everywhere else (iow you can't partially reduce it). Then, the right hand matrix will be the inverse you were trying to compute.

4. Aug 13, 2003 #3
    If you are going to do row reduction by hand on a 4x4 matrix or larger always check that the determinant is not zero before you start. If it is zero, there is no inverse to the matrix.

5. Aug 14, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But the simplest way to find the determinant of a large matrix is row reduction!

6. Aug 14, 2003 #5
    Nah, the simplest way is det(A) in Matlab. :wink:

7. Aug 15, 2003 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, I found the determinant by entering the matrix into my TI-89 calculator!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?