What is the locus equation for a dog and cat walking in a backyard?

• Thread starter physicsgal
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that a dog is twice as far from grid point A as it is from grid point B. The equation of the locus of the dog is (x+2)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 4((x-4)^2 + (y+6)^2). However, the teacher said that the locus of the dog is an ellipse and the equation is 5x^2(2) - 28x + 2y^2 + 6y + 113. However, this does not make sense because the course has not dealt with ellipses yet.
physicsgal
here's the problem:

in a backyard, there are two trees located at grid points A(-2, 3) and B(4,-6)

a) a dog walks through the backyard so that it is at all times twice as far from A as it is from B. find the equation of the locus of the dog.

so PA = 2(PB)
(x+2)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 4((x-4)^2 + (y+6)^2)

i asked a teacher and they said it's a ellipse and the equation is
5x^2(2) - 28x + 2y^2 + 6y + 113
but that doesn't make sense because the course hasnt dealt with ellipses yet, just lines and circles. does it have to be an ellipse?

b) the family cat is also walking in the backyard. the line segments between the cat and the two trees are always perpendicular. find the equation for the locus of the cat.

so this means it path is equidistant from AB?
so PA = PB
(x+2)^2 + (y-3)^2 = (x-4)^2 + (y+6)^2

with my math i end up with y = 2.17 - 0.67x.. but this doesn't look right. there must be something wrong.

any help is appreciated!

~Amy

Physics news on Phys.org
The teacher is clearly wrong about the equation in a). And is right in saying that it is an ellipse only the sense that a circle is a special case of an ellipse. For b), perpendicular does not mean equidistant. Draw a picture. Since the two lines are perpendicular they form a right triangle with the line between the two trees. Think Pythagoras.

im drawing a blank. so -a- IS a circle? also, when it comes to -b-, does it have anything to do with part -a-?

thanks

`Amy

Yes, a) is a circle. You'll probably want to figure the center and radius. b) doesn't really have much to do with a). Did you draw that picture?

i have a drawing of point A and point B

i don't see how a circle would work just by looking at the drawing.

are you sure for -b- that its not PA = PB
(x+2)^2 + (y-3)^2 = (x-4)^2 + (y+6)^2

how is 'equidistant' different then 'perpendicular'?

~Amy
~Amy

Consider the triangle PAB. The angle at point P is a right angle, correct?

yes it is
~Amy

Please continue. What does our most favoritest theorem about right triangles tell us about the relation between PA, PB and AB?

*square root sign*( (x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2

physicsgal said:
*square root sign*( (x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2

Where did the x's and y's come from? We were talking about PA, PB and AB. The three sides of the right triangle.

(i got that equation from my book)

PA = PB?

physicsgal said:
(i got that equation from my book)

PA = PB?

Is it true that for EVERY right triangle the two sides are equal? What would Pythagoras say to that?

no. PA^2 +PB^2 = AB^2?

~Amy

Right! That's the equation you want, yes?

so i should eventually have:

(x^2 + 4x + 4 + y^2 - 6y + 9) + (x^2 - 8x +1b + y^2 + 12y + 36) = AB
and then i figure it out from there?

~Amy

Yes, except you want AB^2=6^2+9^2, right?

(not sure where you got the 6^2 or 9^2 from) :shy:

i'll try to figure it out tomorrow (i have to get going). thanks for the help!

~Amy

Ok, except the right hand side should be AB^2 (an easily calculated number), right?

What is a locus equation?

A locus equation is a mathematical expression that describes the set of all points that satisfy a given condition or constraint. It is often used in geometry and algebra to define curves, shapes, and other geometric figures.

How is a locus equation determined?

A locus equation is determined by analyzing the given condition or constraint and using mathematical operations and techniques to find the set of points that satisfy it. This can include using algebraic manipulations, graphing, and other problem-solving methods.

What is the purpose of determining a locus equation?

The purpose of determining a locus equation is to define and describe a geometric figure or shape that satisfies a given condition. It can also be used to solve mathematical problems and prove geometric theorems.

What are some common types of locus equations?

Some common types of locus equations include linear equations, quadratic equations, circle equations, and ellipse equations. These equations are used to define lines, parabolas, circles, and ellipses, respectively.

How does a locus equation relate to real-world applications?

Locus equations have many real-world applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. They can be used to model and design structures, analyze motion and trajectories, and solve optimization problems.