Determine the magnetic field strength

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnetic field strength at a point between two parallel wires carrying currents in the same direction. The individual magnetic field for each wire is found using B = Mo(I)/r, but vector addition must be used when superposing the two fields. The person asking for help is advised to check their text or use Google to learn how to add vectors.
I have racked my brain for the past two hours and I can't figure this out. If anyone can help me with, please do.

Two long parallel wires 6.00 cm apart carry 19.5 A currents in the same direction. Determine the magnetic field strength at a point 12.0 cm from one wire and 13.4 cm from the other. (Hint: Make a drawing in a plane containing the field lines, and recall the rules for vector addition.)

I found the magnetic field for each of the wires seperately using B = Mo(I)/ r

but I cannot understand what the "vectors" have to do with the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field (just like the electric field) is a vector quantity; therefore when superposing two fields, you must use the rules of vector addition.

Check your text or Google for how to add vectors.

1. What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength, also known as magnetic flux density, is the measurement of the strength of a magnetic field. It is typically measured in units of teslas (T) or gauss (G).

2. How is magnetic field strength determined?

Magnetic field strength can be determined by using a device called a magnetometer, which measures the magnetic field at a specific location. It can also be calculated using the equation B = μ0 * H, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and H is the magnetic field intensity.

3. What factors affect magnetic field strength?

The strength of a magnetic field can be affected by the material it is passing through, the distance from the source of the field, and the amount of electrical current flowing through the source. It can also be affected by the orientation and shape of the magnetic source.

4. Why is it important to determine magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is important in many applications, such as in the design and operation of electrical devices and machinery. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields, which is essential in fields such as astrophysics and nuclear physics.

5. How is magnetic field strength used in everyday life?

Magnetic field strength is used in many everyday devices, such as speakers, motors, and generators. It is also used in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI machines. Additionally, magnetic field strength is used in compasses for navigation and in credit and debit cards for data storage.

Suggested for: Determine the magnetic field strength

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back