1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the net force

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the net force of the following, im pretty sure i know the answer, but i just wanted to check to see if i am actually doing it correctly

2. Relevant equations
    i just need to find the net force (i have attached the question)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Would the net force be 12N or 0N
    I get how to work it out the netforce when there are forces working in opposite directions, but i wasnt to sure if i am meant to add or subtract when going in different direction

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2012 #2
    Ask you friend to help you doing an experiment.
    Both of you pull the object as in your problem configuration with equal force/pull for 10sec.
    Find the track the object made.

2nd experiment.
    Next you alone pull southerly for say 10 sec.
    Then ask you friend to pull westerly for another 10 sec.
    Check the final location of the object.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. Aug 8, 2012 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

If the forces are not in opposite directions, the best way to make it clear what the resultant force would look like is to add the vectors head to tail. Here the forces are at right angles to one another so a quick application of Pythagoras will give you the resultant force (which will point towards bottom left )

5. Aug 8, 2012 #4
    Thank you all so much for your help! i was away in class today and i wasnt 100% sure :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook