What is the net force in this question?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the net force in a given scenario and how to calculate it when forces are not in opposite directions. The suggestion is to use vector addition to determine the resultant force. The conversation also mentions conducting an experiment to better understand the concept.
ameliapond

Homework Statement

I need to find the net force of the following, I am pretty sure i know the answer, but i just wanted to check to see if i am actually doing it correctly

Homework Equations

i just need to find the net force (i have attached the question)

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the net force be 12N or 0N
I get how to work it out the netforce when there are forces working in opposite directions, but i wasnt to sure if i am meant to add or subtract when going in different direction

Attachments

• net force.jpg
    net force.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
Ask you friend to help you doing an experiment.
Both of you pull the object as in your problem configuration with equal force/pull for 10sec.
Find the track the object made.

2nd experiment.
Next you alone pull southerly for say 10 sec.
Then ask you friend to pull westerly for another 10 sec.
Check the final location of the object.

Last edited:
If the forces are not in opposite directions, the best way to make it clear what the resultant force would look like is to add the vectors head to tail. Here the forces are at right angles to one another so a quick application of Pythagoras will give you the resultant force (which will point towards bottom left )

Thank you all so much for your help! i was away in class today and i wasnt 100% sure :)

The net force in this question refers to the overall force acting on an object. It is calculated by taking into account all the individual forces acting on the object, including their direction and magnitude. To find the net force, you would need to add all the forces acting in the same direction and subtract any forces acting in the opposite direction.

In this case, without seeing the attached question, it is difficult to determine the net force. However, it is important to remember that the net force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. So it is not simply a matter of adding or subtracting values, but also considering the direction of the forces.

I would suggest reviewing your understanding of net force and using the relevant equations to accurately calculate it in this question. It is also important to double check your work to ensure you have the correct answer.

What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is determined by adding together all of the individual forces acting on the object.

How do you determine the net force?

To determine the net force, you must first identify all of the individual forces acting on the object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use vector addition to add the forces together and find the resultant net force.

What is the equation for net force?

The equation for net force is Fnet = F1 + F2 + F3 + ... + Fn, where Fnet is the net force and F1, F2, F3, etc. are the individual forces acting on the object.

Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. This means that the forces acting on the object are in opposite directions and one is stronger than the other. The negative sign indicates the direction of the net force.

What is the unit of net force?

The unit of net force is typically Newtons (N), which is a unit of measurement for force in the metric system. In the Imperial system, net force can be measured in pounds (lbs).