1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the oscillation period

1. Mar 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the oscillation period, as a function of energy E, when a particle of mass m moves in a field with potential energy [itex]V(x)=-V_0/cosh^2(\alpha x)[/itex], for [itex]-V_0 < E < 0[/itex] with Vo positive.

(a) First show that, with s=sinh (α x) and determining the appropriate smax ,the period satisfies

[itex]T=\frac{2\sqrt{2m}}{\alpha\sqrt{E}}\int_{0}^{S_{max}}\frac{ds}{\sqrt{s^2}+\frac{E+U_o}{E}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure where to start. My text-book is of no help when it comes to this question

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure where to start....

Can someone help me with this one. thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Show some attempt. You know you need to use energy ideas. What can you say about the relation between kinetic energy, potential energy, and total energy E?

4. Mar 7, 2014 #3
    T + v = e.... Don't see what the would do?

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose you could express the speed v as a function of x. Note v = dx/dt. So, you would have dx/dt = some function of x.

6. Mar 7, 2014 #5
    Ya I get that, i just don't know how to get smax

7. Mar 7, 2014 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What can you say about the value of the potential energy V(x) when s = smax?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted