1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the phenotypes of progrency

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    Hi,

My Question:

In poultry, the dominant alleles for a rose comb (R) and a pea comb (P), if present together, give a walnut comb. The recessive alleles of each gene, when present together in a homozygous state, give a single comb. What will be the comb characters of the offspring of the following cross?

a. R/RP/p´r/rP/p

I'm not sure what to do. Am I supposed to develop a combination of crosses and then put them in a punnett square to help determine the phenotypes:confused:

Thank You :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is basicly a 16 square punnett square of the cross given in a. and you have to give the character of the offsprings.
    To get you started, the possible combination of one of the parent is as follow:
    RP Rp RP Rp

So have to determine the combination of the other parent and then mix both parental combination.

4. Nov 1, 2005 #3
    So you mean like this

View attachment Table.doc

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  5. Nov 1, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not quite. Go back to that very first problem set you posted here where we went through how to set up a Punnett Square for two traits and refresh your memory of how to set those up. It's the same thing here. iansmith got you started for one parent.

6. Nov 1, 2005 #5
    Hi,

So it would be a 9:3:3:1 type combination?

If so wouldn't it be the same answer for the different type of combinations for this cross

• r/rP/P´R/rP/p

7. Nov 2, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9:3:3:1 is the ratio you get with a dihybrid cross (when both parents are heterozygous for both traits). What are your gametes for each parent?

8. Feb 17, 2010 #7
    Hi . Help me ? which one correct .
    In poultry, the dominant alleles for rose comb (R) and pea comb (P), if present together, give a walnut comb. The recessive alleles of each gene, when present together in a homozygous state, give a single comb. What will be the comb characters of the offspring of the following cross: R/R P/p x r/r P/p?
    A. 1/4 walnut (R/r P/-) : 3/4 rose (R/r p/p)
    B. 3/4 walnut (R/r P/-) : 1/4 rose (R/r p/p)
    C. 1/2 walnut (R/r P/-) : 1/2 pea (r/r P/-)
    D. 1/4 walnut (R/r P/-) : 1/4 rose (R/r p/p) : 1/4 pea (r/r P/-) : 1/4 single (r/r p/p)
    E. 1/2 pea (r/r P/-) : 1/2 single (r/r p/p)
    Thank You very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?