1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the range of force

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    The cables are tied at A and loaed as shown
    Determine the range of values of P for which both cables remain taut !
    [​IMG]

I have an idea on the AC rope. Since the tension force T must not be zero on the horizontal line (or the line along AC), therefore, the min force of P > 0. Because when P>0, the horizontal component is not zero. Is it true? How about AB

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi fociboy ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If P is too small, the 960N weight will pull A toward the wall.

If P is too large, it will pull A upward.

Hint: the question is really asking you find the formulas for the tension in each cable.

Then you choose the values for which the tension in either cable is zero. :smile:

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3
    Dear tiny-tim,
    I've known how to solve it. We resolve all the force in to x and y component. And determine the conditions that the tension force on the rope is more than zero

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi fociboy! :smile:
    (you mean I know how to solve it, or I've found how to solve it :wink:)

That's right … resolve into components. :smile:

Is everything ok now?

6. Aug 20, 2008 #5
    I see. But you know, I've started studying in university and there're still a lot of things to know. I hope I can join and become an active member of the forum. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?