Determine the resistance of Rl

• Thread starter TyErd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the question asks for the resistance of Rl that will result in optimal operation for all LEDs in a circuit. Each LED has a switch on voltage of 2V and draws a current of 20mA. After mistakenly calculating the voltage for Rl to be 7V, it is realized that the total current drawn from the battery is 60mA (20mA per LED). Using Ohm's Law, the correct resistance for Rl is 150 ohms.
TyErd

Homework Statement

All LEDs in the following circuit are identical. Each LED has a switch on voltage of 2V and draws a current of 20mA for optimal light production.

Determine the resistance of Rl that gives optimum operation for all LEDs.

Homework Equations

Ohms Law V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

becuase the LEDs are connected in parallel I calculated the voltage for Rl to be 9-2 =7V then divided that by 20mA which gave me 350ohms, which is incorrect.

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 325
Physics news on Phys.org

Each LED draws 20 mA current. There are three LEDs. So the total current drawn from the battery is...?

OMG I am an idiot, I didn't read the question properly, I thought the 20mA was divided amongst the 3 LEDs. Haha, anyway Thankyou!

1. What is resistance and how is it measured?

Resistance is the measure of a material's opposition to the flow of electric current. It is measured in units called Ohms (Ω) using a multimeter or an ohmmeter.

2. How does the resistance of a material affect its conductivity?

The higher the resistance of a material, the lower its conductivity. This means that materials with high resistance are less able to conduct electric current compared to materials with low resistance.

3. What factors can affect the resistance of a material?

The three main factors that can affect the resistance of a material are its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Longer materials, smaller cross-sectional areas, and higher temperatures tend to have higher resistance.

4. How do you calculate the resistance of a material?

The resistance of a material can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In equation form, it is written as R = V/I.

5. What is the significance of determining the resistance of a material?

Determining the resistance of a material is important in understanding its electrical properties and how it can be used in circuits. It also allows for the calculation of other important parameters such as power and voltage drop in a circuit.