1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the resultant internal loadings in the crane

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1
    QUESTION: The boom DF of the jib crane and the column DE have a uniform weight of 50 lb/ft. If the hoist and load weight 300 lb, determine the resultant internal loadings in the crane on cross sections through points A, B, and C. (Diagram and answers are attached)

I'm just hoping someone could look at what I did and tell me if I did it correctly.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2
    Here's point C

Attached Files:

4. Sep 26, 2004 #3
    Looks good to me, but did you take the correct weight for DC in your calculation of point C?

5. Sep 26, 2004 #4
    What I did was find the force acting on the entire beam DF, not just DC.
    That's why I got 650 lb (50lb/ft*13ft and it acts @ 6.5ft). Is that the right way to do it? And I was wondering if that force I put right on point D is correct. Thanks for the input.

6. Feb 2, 2010 #5
    Re: Mechanics

Wouldn't the downward force placed at D be 250 lb?

There is 5 feet of column above cross-section C. So wouldn't you multiply (5 ft)*(50 lb/ft) = 250 lb?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?