1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the shear stress

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the shear stress, [itex]\tau[/itex]E, at point E that corresponds to the maximum shear force along the length of the beam. V = 25kN

b= 55 mm
    c=150 mm
    d=110 mm
    e=65 mm

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\tau[/itex]E = [itex]\frac{V*Q}{I*t}[/itex]

Q = [itex]\bar{y}[/itex]'*A'

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to find the shear stress for point D, but I'm having trouble finding point E. How do I find Q for that point? I read an example in my textbook but there was not much of an explanation.

Is point E the centroid for the area when the neutral axis is at point D? If this is the case, I would be able to find the shear stress.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unfortunately, the diagram is not clear on where point E is located. The shear stress in the beam takes a large jump at the intersection of the upper flange and the web of the beam. In any case, Q will be the first moment of the area between E and the top of the flange, referenced about the neutral axis.

4. Jul 7, 2013 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not sure, since I did not try it.

Technically speaking, we could say point E is located at a distance 0.80*b from the top edge of the upper flange. I.e., point E is located at (0.50*c + 0.20*b) from point D. Therefore, based on this assumption, you could find the shear stress at point E.

5. Jul 8, 2013 #4
    Thanks for all of the input. I was told to assume that point E was located at the point where the web meets the flange. Great drawing!!(sarcasm) Got this one wrong.

6. Jul 9, 2013 #5
    Glad you are sorted now. However, shear stress is not evaluated at a point, but at a section. There is a difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted