1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the stiffness of the springs being installed

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are tasked to reduce the vibrations of of an old air conditioning unit through the structure of a building. To do this you intend to mount the fan unit on 4 free-standing spring isolators with a non skid base. By choosing the appropriate springs and configuration you will be able to reduce the natural frequency of the system by a factor of 5 which will reduce the vibrations by 96%. The combined mass of the fan unit and spring system is 570kg and the fan operates at a frequency of 1750 rpm, determine the stiffness of the springs being installed.

2. Relevant equations

w = 2(pi)f
    w = sqrt(k/m)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I start by converting rpm to hz which gives me 29.2 hz for f.

I divide the mass of the system by 4 due to it having 4 springs which will give me 142.5kg

Next I find the angular frequency

w = 2(pi)(29.2)
    = 183.469 rad/s (then divide this by a factor of 5? to reduce the vibrations)
    = 36.6938 rad/s

then put all of this into the final formula to find k

w = sqrt(k/142.5)
    k = 142.5(36.6938)^2
    = 195502 Nm (1.955x10^5 Nm)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted