Determine the time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine

In summary, we have an oil-fired steam turbine driving an electric power generator with a power output of 120 megawatts and an efficiency of 40%. To determine the time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine, we can use the equation efficiency = (net power output) / (power input), where the output is 120 megawatts and the efficiency is 0.4. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for the input (heat supply) and leave the power output as is. Just remember to use the efficiency as a fraction, not a percentage, in the calculation.
bigmikey800

Homework Statement

a heat engine consists of an oil fired steam turbine driving an electric power generator with a power output of 120 megawatts. the efficiency of the heat engine is 40 percent. How do determine the time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
To get help at the Homework Forum, you have to show your attempt to solve the problem first. So the first thing to start with would be:

We know the efficiency of the engine is 40% = 0.4. What is the definition of efficiency for a heat engine?

my teacher didnt teach us how to do this so I am completely lost

Have you been shown yet the equation

efficiency = (net work or energy output) / ( heat or energy input) ?

What would be the input and the output in your problem statement?

The efficiency is 40%, the output is 120 megawatts. Therefore, to fine the (heat or energy input) i can just divide (Efficiency)/(network or energy output) to find the anwswer? Also, do i have to change 120 megawatts or can i just leave it?

bigmikey800 said:
The efficiency is 40%, the output is 120 megawatts. Therefore, to fine the (heat or energy input) i can just divide (Efficiency)/(network or energy output) to find the anwswer?

Check your algebra: if you're solving for the input (heat supply to the engine), what should your quotient be?

Also, do i have to change 120 megawatts or can i just leave it?

You can just leave it. The same formula also work for power, since it is the rate at which work or energy is transferred:

efficiency = (net power output) / (power input)

Don't forget that, while efficiency is often expressed as a percentage, it must be used in the equations as a fraction. So the efficiency here is 0.4 .

1. What is the definition of time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine?

The time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine is the amount of heat energy that is transferred to the engine per unit time.

2. How is the time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine measured?

The time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine is typically measured in units of watts, which represents the amount of heat energy transferred per second.

3. What factors affect the time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine?

The time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine can be affected by several factors, including the type and design of the engine, the type of fuel being used, and the operating conditions of the engine.

4. Why is it important to determine the time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine?

Determining the time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine can provide valuable information about the efficiency of the engine and can help identify any potential issues or areas for improvement.

5. How can the time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine be optimized?

The time rate at which heat is supplied to the engine can be optimized by using high-quality fuels, maintaining the engine regularly, and operating the engine under optimal conditions.