1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the work done

1. Mar 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object is subject to a nonconstant force f = (6x^3 -2x) ihat

such that the force is in newtons when x is in meters. Determine the work done on the object as a result of this force as the object moves from x = 0 to x = 100 m

2. Relevant equations
    w = f * d

3. The attempt at a solution
    again not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Plugging in 100 m into f you get

5999800 m, and the total distance covered was 100 m, so multiplying the two you get 5.999 x 10^8 joules but book gives me 1.5 x 10^8 joules

I do not see how the books answer agrees with the equation w = f * d.

alternately I could use [itex] W = \Delta K + E_t [/itex] but I don't think using this equation is right in this case...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure you need to use an integral for this problem. When the force changes as a function of distance, you need to integrate the force f(x) * dx over the range of distance x. Can you show us that work?

If you haven't use LaTeX before to show integral work, you can find a tutorial under INFO at the top of the page (click Help/How-To).

4. Mar 31, 2017 #3
    I see. So if acceleration is not constant, then we have to use integral method? and if the force IS constant, we can use equation W = F*d?

5. Mar 31, 2017 #4
    This involves basic calculus.. you need to find the Work equations first which is

6/4 × X^4 + X^2

now insert X = 100 and X = 0

1.5 10^8 +10^4 - (0)^4 -0^2

Wait the answer is different from your book, why?._.
    (Btw i can't give you the proper equations since im on mobile, its too messy)

6. Mar 31, 2017 #5

berkeman

I'm not sure this is helpful. Let's see how the OP's work looks first...

7. Mar 31, 2017 #6

berkeman

You haven't been given any information about the acceleration. You are given f(x) and asked to find the work done over a range of x. That means you need to do the integral to figure out the total work over that distance.

8. Mar 31, 2017 #7
    Hmm so I integrate function 6x^3 -2x

I get (6/4)x^4 - x^2
    (6/4)(100)^4 - (100)^2 = 149990000

so that is my force. My distance is 100, so I multiply 149990000 by 100, and get 1.5 x 10^10

Still not my books answer :(. Why am I off by 10^10 - 10^8 :(???

9. Mar 31, 2017 #8
    Well its saying that the force is not constant, so I assumed acceleration to be non constant as well... does that seem right?

10. Mar 31, 2017 #9
    No no, you got it right. Wow the answer was much closer to the book than i thoguht.

So,149990000 Joule IS your Work. Which rounds up to 1.5 × 10^8. The integral of Force IS work. Your equation has been converted to work equation

11. Mar 31, 2017 #10
    Ahh okay finally I understand now.

Using the fact that integral of force is work, I didn't have to multiply by 100 at all.

Okay thank you guys. But also if you can answer my question:

"Well its saying that the force is not constant, so I assumed acceleration to be non constant as well... does that seem right?"

I appreciate everything!

12. Mar 31, 2017 #11
    Well yes.. if your Force changed, either the accel. or the mass changed. But you dont gain/lose mass along the way :p so yeah acceleration is the one that changes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted