Determine where a complex function is analytic

Your name] In summary, the function f(z) = ln|z| + i*arg(z) is analytic everywhere except at z = 0 and on the non-positive real axis. This is because the real part, ln|z|, is defined for all z ≠ 0, while the imaginary part, i*arg(z), is only defined for all z not on the non-positive real axis. It is important to use the correct definition of arg(z) in order to properly determine the region of analyticity for this function.
Fronzbot

Homework Statement

Determine the region of analyticity of ln|z| + i*arg(z) and justify your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that if z=x+iy, the function has a singularity when both x and y are equal to 0 since ln(0) is undefined and arg(z) = arg(x+iy) = -i*log(z+iy/sqrt(x^2+y^2)) which is also undefined.
Thus, I said, the function is analytic everywhere but when |z| = 0.

However, the back of the book claims it is analytic for all z not on the non-positive real axis, but I don't see this. For example, if I pick a value of z = -5 + i*0, ln(-5) is ln(5) + pi*i and arg(z) = pi/ln(10)

The only things I can thing of is that my equation for arg(z) is wrong (I went on wolfram alpha to try and visualize it and I saw that they used it). And the other thing is that arctan(z) would be arctan(y/x) but when y=0, arctan is just equal to zero. My answer makes sense to me, but the books answer does not. What am I missing/doing wrong?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is partially correct, but there are a few things that you need to consider in order to fully understand the region of analyticity for this function.

Firstly, let's define our function as f(z) = ln|z| + i*arg(z). As you correctly pointed out, the function has a singularity at z = 0, since ln(0) is undefined and arg(z) is also undefined when z = 0.

Now, let's look at the real and imaginary parts of the function separately. The real part is ln|z|, which is defined for all z ≠ 0. This means that the function is analytic everywhere except at z = 0.

The imaginary part is i*arg(z). Here, we need to be careful with how we define arg(z). In your attempt, you used the formula arg(z) = -i*log(z+iy/sqrt(x^2+y^2)). However, this is not the standard definition of arg(z). The correct definition is arg(z) = arctan(y/x), where x and y are the real and imaginary parts of z, respectively. This definition is valid for all z ≠ 0, except for the non-positive real axis (i.e. the negative real axis and the origin). This means that the function is analytic for all z not on the non-positive real axis.

To summarize, the function f(z) = ln|z| + i*arg(z) is analytic everywhere except at z = 0 and on the non-positive real axis.

I hope this helps to clarify your confusion. Remember to always double check the definitions of the functions you are using, as this can greatly affect your solution. Keep up the good work in your studies!

What does it mean for a function to be analytic?

For a function to be analytic, it means that it is differentiable at every point in its domain. In other words, the function must have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

How do you determine where a function is analytic?

To determine where a function is analytic, you must check if the function satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations relate the partial derivatives of the function with respect to its real and imaginary variables. If the function satisfies these equations, it is analytic at that point.

Can a function be analytic at some points and non-analytic at others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be analytic at some points and non-analytic at others. This can happen if the function does not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations at certain points in its domain.

What are some common examples of analytic functions?

Some common examples of analytic functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. These functions are differentiable at every point in their domains.

Why is it important to determine where a function is analytic?

Determining where a function is analytic is important because it allows us to identify points where the function is differentiable and thus, can be approximated using its derivative. This is crucial in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as in optimization problems and in the study of complex systems.