1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine where a complex function is analytic

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the region of analyticity of ln|z| + i*arg(z) and justify your answer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I said that if z=x+iy, the function has a singularity when both x and y are equal to 0 since ln(0) is undefined and arg(z) = arg(x+iy) = -i*log(z+iy/sqrt(x^2+y^2)) which is also undefined.
    Thus, I said, the function is analytic everywhere but when |z| = 0.

However, the back of the book claims it is analytic for all z not on the non-positive real axis, but I don't see this. For example, if I pick a value of z = -5 + i*0, ln(-5) is ln(5) + pi*i and arg(z) = pi/ln(10)

The only things I can thing of is that my equation for arg(z) is wrong (I went on wolfram alpha to try and visualize it and I saw that they used it). And the other thing is that arctan(z) would be arctan(y/x) but when y=0, arctan is just equal to zero. My answer makes sense to me, but the books answer does not. What am I missing/doing wrong?

Thank you!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted