y = c2e^x sin x; c2=DNE

• Thread starter Sneakatone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
If it does, you're done. If it doesn't, try something else. When you can find a value for ##c_2## that works, you're done.
Sneakatone

Homework Statement

The given two-parameter family is a solution of the indicated differential equation on the interval
(−infinity, infinity).
Determine whether a member of the family can be found that satisfies the boundary conditions. (If yes, enter the solution. If an answer does not exist, enter DNE.)

y = c1e^x cos x + c2e^x sin x; y'' − 2y' + 2y = 0

I completed the 1st 3 but I don't know this one
(d) y(0) = 0, y(π) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

when y(0) = 0 :
0=c1 e^(0)cos(0)+c2 e^(0)sin(0)
c1=0

when y(π) = 0:
0=c1e^π cosπ+c2 e^π sinπ
0=c1e^π+0
c1=0

Physics news on Phys.org
That tells you that [itex]c_1 = 0[/itex]. But [itex]c_2[/itex] can be anything! You're not asked to find a unique solution, but to find at least one solution.

so can I say c2=0 making:

y=e^x cosx ?

Sneakatone said:

y=e^x cosx ?

Your original problem should have stated you were looking for a solution that isn't identically zero that satisfies the boundary conditions. Your answer I have quoted doesn't satisfy ##y(\pi)=0##. The point is, can you find a ##c_2## that isn't zero so you have a nontrivial solution?

Sneakatone said:

y=e^x cosx ?

No, you've already established that the coefficient of [itex]e^x \cos(x)[/itex] must be zero. It's the coefficient of [itex]e^x \sin(x)[/itex] which is arbitrary, since [itex]c_2e^0 \sin(0) = 0 = c_2e^{\pi} \sin(\pi)[/itex] for any [itex]c_2 \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Sneakatone said:

y=e^x cosx ?
That is a valid answer but you are taking c2= 1, not 0.

HallsofIvy said:
That is a valid answer but you are taking c2= 1, not 0.
No it isn't. See post #4.

can c2 be -cot(x) ? or can I put any number and it will be correct?

Sneakatone said:
can c2 be -cot(x) ? or can I put any number and it will be correct?

##c_1## and ##c_2## are constants. Post #2 pointed out to you ##c_1=0## and ##c_2## can be anything. Try something. Then check if the solution you get satisfies the two boundary conditions.

1. What is the meaning of the equation y = c2e^x sin x; c2=DNE?

The equation represents a mathematical relationship between the output variable y and the input variables x and c2. The value of c2 (constant) does not exist in this equation.

2. How do you solve for y in the equation y = c2e^x sin x; c2=DNE?

Since the value of c2 is undefined, it is not possible to solve for y in this equation. The equation can be simplified to y = e^x sin x, but it cannot be solved for a specific value of y.

3. Can the value of c2 be substituted with a number in the equation y = c2e^x sin x; c2=DNE?

No, the value of c2 cannot be substituted with a number in this equation because it does not exist. The equation can only be expressed in terms of e and x.

4. How does the value of c2 affect the shape of the graph of y = c2e^x sin x; c2=DNE?

The value of c2 has no effect on the shape of the graph of y = c2e^x sin x. The graph will have the same shape regardless of the value of c2, as long as it is undefined.

5. What is the significance of c2 being undefined in the equation y = c2e^x sin x; c2=DNE?

The value of c2 being undefined means that it does not have any impact on the equation. This could indicate that it is not a necessary factor in the relationship between y, x, and e, or that it is unknown or not applicable in the given context.