Determine whether there is a train collision

In summary, two trains, one traveling at 60 miles/hr and the other at 80 miles/hr, are headed toward one another on a straight level track. When they are 2.0 miles apart, both engineers simultaneously see the other's train and apply their brakes. Using two equations and calculating for each train's distance traveled, it is determined that there will be a collision as the total distance traveled by both trains is less than 2 miles.
courtrigrad
Two trains, one traveling at 60 miles/hr and the other at 80 miles/hr, are headed toward one another on a straight level track. When they are 2.0 miles apart, both engineers simultaneously see the other's train and apply their brakes. If the brakes decelerate each train at the rate of 3.0 ft/sec^2, determine whether there is a collision.

Ok, so is it correct to say that if [itex] d > \frac{(v_{1}-v_{2})^{2}}{2a} [/itex] there will be no collision, and if [itex] d < \frac{(v_{1}-v_{2})^{2}}{2a} [/itex] there will be a collision (d is distance, v is velocity, and a is acceleration). When I do this, I get that there will be a collision, but the correct answer is that there will be no collision. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use two equations and see how far each train gets, and then see whether the sum is greater or less than 2 miles. The reason you can't get away with one equation is because once the 60 mph train stops, it doesn't start going backwards. It stops accelerating, but the 80 mph train continues slowing down. Plus, if you were going to do it that way, you would use v1+v2 in your equation, and 6 ft/sec^2 as the acceleration, since both trains are accelerating.

would I use [itex] x = x{0} + v_{x}_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}(v_{x}_{0} + v_{x}) [/itex]?

I think your last term should be 1/2 a t^2, and remember you need to find the t where each train stops and plug that into get x. You don't need an x_0, you just need to know if the total distance the trains travel once they start braking is more or less than 2 miles.

So [itex] v_{x} = v_{x}_{0} + a_{x}t [/itex]. I got [itex] t = 20, t = 26.66 [/itex] for 60 mph and 80 mph respectively. After plugging these times in [itex] x = v_{x}_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{x}t^{2} [/itex] I got [itex] 1066.1334 + 600 = 1666.1334 ft[/itex] which is less than two miles. Is this correct?

Check your units again.

should i convert the acceleration from ft/sec to miles/hour? Also the time in seconds to time in minutes?

You just need to make sure everything has the same units of length and time (eg, feet and seconds).

but otherwise everything is correct?

1. How do you determine if there is a train collision?

To determine if there is a train collision, we use various methods such as analyzing train movement data, reviewing eyewitness accounts, and examining physical evidence at the scene of the potential collision.

2. What factors can contribute to a train collision?

There are several factors that can contribute to a train collision, including human error, malfunctioning equipment, poor maintenance, and external factors such as weather conditions, obstacles on the tracks, or other vehicles on the railway.

3. How do you prevent train collisions?

To prevent train collisions, safety measures such as strict adherence to signaling systems, regular maintenance and inspections, proper training for train operators, and implementing safety protocols are necessary. Advanced technology such as positive train control systems can also help prevent collisions.

4. What are the consequences of a train collision?

The consequences of a train collision can be severe, resulting in injuries or fatalities for passengers and train crew, damage to property and infrastructure, and disruptions to transportation services. It can also have economic and environmental impacts.

5. How can we improve train collision prevention?

To improve train collision prevention, ongoing training and education for train operators and railway staff, regular maintenance and inspections, and investing in advanced technology and safety systems are crucial. Additionally, increasing awareness and enforcing safety regulations can also help prevent train collisions.