How much work is required to stretch a spring by an additional 4.0 cm?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work required to stretch a spring by a certain distance. The equation for force done on the spring and the equation for work are provided. By solving for the spring's constant, the correct answer is obtained using the equation for work. However, attempting to use the original information and adding it to the remaining distance does not give the correct answer as the force-displacement graph is a triangle and not a rectangle.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

If it requires 5.0 J of work to stretch a particular spring by 2.0 cm from its equilibrium length, how much more work will be required to stretch it an additioanl 4.0 cm?

Homework Equations

Force done on spring: ##F_P = kx ##
Work: ##\frac {1}{2}kx^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for K and got 25000.
Plugging it into the equation for the work on a spring, I get ##\frac {1}{2}(25000)(0.06)^2 ## where 0.06 is the total length stretched. Doing it that way, I get the right answer.

However, why can't I use the original information (5 J) and simply add it to the remaining 4 cm? ##5 + \frac {1}{2}(25000)(0.04)^2 ## Work is area under the force/displacement graph. Therefore, both ways should work, but that's the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

If it requires 5.0 J of work to stretch a particular spring by 2.0 cm from its equilibrium length, how much more work will be required to stretch it an additioanl 4.0 cm?

Homework Equations

Force done on spring: ##F_P = kx ##
Work: ##\frac {1}{2}kx^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for K and got 25000.
Plugging it into the equation for the work on a spring, I get ##\frac {1}{2}(25000)(0.06)^2 ## where 0.06 is the total length stretched. Doing it that way, I get the right answer.

However, why can't I use the original information (5 J) and simply add it to the remaining 4 cm? ##5 + \frac {1}{2}(25000)(0.04)^2 ## Work is area under the force/displacement graph. Therefore, both ways should work, but that's the case.
That's because ##(0.06)^2\ne(0.02)^2+(0.04)^2\ ## .

Your force-displacement graph should be a triangle. Mark O, A, B, C at 0, 2, 4, 6 cm on the x axis, with D, E, F on the slope above A, B, C respectively. You want area ACFD. You won't get that by adding OAD to OBE.

What is the definition of work on a spring?

The work on a spring is the amount of energy required to change its length or position from its equilibrium state.

How is work on a spring calculated?

The work on a spring can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium state.

What factors affect the work on a spring?

The work on a spring is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance the spring is stretched or compressed, and the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring.

What is the unit of measurement for work on a spring?

The unit of measurement for work on a spring is joules (J).

Why is work on a spring important in science?

Work on a spring is important in science because it is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of springs and other elastic materials. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in designing and analyzing structures and machines.