1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determing average speed when given a circumference and flahses/min of a strobe light

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to determine the average speed of a dot on a spinning motor and also the time it takes for teh dot to make on revolution. Using a strobe light I determined I needed to do 3959.2 flashes/min in order to make the dot stay in place. The dot is 6.9 cm away from the center of the motor However, I do not know how to use this in order to calculate time and I am stuck

2. Relevant equations

average speed = distance traveled (cm)/ time sec

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the 6.90 cm, i determined the circumference is 43.4 cm, and I need to use this in calculating the speed someone. However, I do not know how to use this info and the flashes/min to find either the average speed in cm/sec or the time it takes for one revolution. I need help asap please!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Determing average speed when given a circumference and flahses/min of a strobe li

The time between flashes is the time for one revolution. Say you have 2 flashes/min then the time between flashes is 1/2 minute. Say you have 4 flashes/min, then the time between flashes is 1/4 min. Get it?

4. Sep 23, 2009 #3
    Re: Determing average speed when given a circumference and flahses/min of a strobe li

I believe so, thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook