Determing distances on the fly

• Thread starter psychemage
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Atronomy and Cosmology aren't quite my thing. Anyone think/know of a way to calculate distances from stellar objects, particularly stars, on the fly (ie. from 1 to 5 sec) that doesn't require two telescopes a kilometer apart? I don't much care for parallax (please ignore my spelling). Thank you so much in adnvance to whom ever replies.

~Nick

Answers and Replies

Anyone have any suggestions? Anything would be appreciated... thanks again

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
'Standard candles' are usually relied upon for determining distances, especially those beyond the sensititivity of the parallax method [which is quite accurate but severely limited in range]. The first 'standard candles' [objects that have the same absolute brightness] were Cepheid variables. These, however, are too faint to be resolved beyond local galaxies. Certain, very bright types of supernova [SNe 1a in particular] are currently the most useful standard candles. We can approximate fairly distant objects [up to z~1.7] by this method. Gamma ray bursters appear to be the best candidate for the next generation of standard candles. They have been observed at distances up to z~6.5 - which is a quite a chunk of real estate.

Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, no, there is no simple, 5-second method to calculate the distance to stars. It requires precise measurements.