What is the Charge on a Suspended Oil Drop in Millikan's Experiment?

In summary, Robert Millikan received a Nobel Prize for determining the charge on the electron by setting up a potential difference between two parallel metal plates and using oil drops to measure the electric field. By adjusting the potential difference, a certain drop with a mass of 3.27 x 10^-16 kg remained suspended at rest between the plates when the electric field was 10,000 N/C downward. The magnitude of the charge on this drop was found to be 3.2 x 10^-19 C, using the equations E = Kc x (q/r^2) and f = Kc x (q1)(q2)/r^2. The concept behind this calculation involves balancing the electric force against gravity to keep
washablemarker

Homework Statement

Robert Millikan received a Nobel Prize for determining the charge on the electron. To do this he set up a potential difference between two horizontal parallel metal plates. He then sprayed a drops of oil between the plates and adjusted the potential difference until drops of a certain size remained suspended at rest between the plates. Suppose that when the potential difference between the plates is adjusted until the electric field is 10,000 N/C downward, a certain drop with a mass of 3.27 x 10^-16 kg remains suspended. what is the magnitude of the charge on this drop?

Homework Equations

umm... i suppose E = Kc x (q/r^2) and f = Kc x (q1)(q2)/r^2 would apply. I'm not sure if i need anything else though.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have got the right answer i think, but i have no idea how what is going on.

(3.27 x 10^-16)(9.8) = 3.2046 x 10^-15 = qE
E = 3.2 x 10^-19

i understand that here, mass is being multiplied by free fall acceleration, and then set equal to charge x electric field, but i don't know where this came from. does it have anything to do with the unit of electric force being Newtons, or kg x m/s^2. some explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram of the oil drop and work out the conditions for it to remain suspended.

yeah thanks. i figured it out minutes after. it's basically just electric field against gravity. thank you.

What is electron charge?

Electron charge refers to the fundamental physical property of an electron that determines its interactions with other particles and fields. It is a negative charge with a value of -1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.

How is electron charge determined?

The charge of an electron is determined through experiments and calculations using the Coulomb's law, which relates the strength of the electric force between two charged particles to their charges and distance between them.

What is the unit of electron charge?

The unit of electron charge is coulomb (C), which is a derived unit of the International System of Units (SI).

Can electron charge be changed?

No, electron charge is an inherent property of an electron and cannot be changed or altered.

Is electron charge the same as electrical charge?

Yes, electron charge is a type of electric charge, specifically a negative charge. There are two types of electric charge, positive and negative, and they can interact with each other through the electromagnetic force.