1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining absolute angle for phasors

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm new here. This is not a homework of any kind, just a simple problem I encountered on my workplace. If this doesn't belong here, I'm sorry and I hope the admin could move it to somewhere more appropriate.

Ok so here's my problem, the gif image below shows a phasor representation as a rotating vector.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unfasor.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unfasor.gif

We develop a software with a GUI to display three phasor data that are always 60° from each other and similar to the rotating vector above, except that there will be 3 lines and they are almost always 120° to each other. The way we display the data is such that starting from the positive x-axis, turning counter-clockwise the reading will read from 0 to 180°. The reading from the positive x-axis turning clockwise (in the 4th & 3rd quadrant) will be from 0 to -180° (-180° doesnt really exist since the reading will change from 180° to -179.9999° the moment it crosses the x-axis).

The three phasors will turn counter-clockwise at uniform speed with time. I need to display the absolute value of angle difference between any two phasors, since any values greater or lower than 120° will show abnormalities in the system.

The problem is, I could only use a single equation to find the said difference. The components in the equation could either be the sources of reading (of which i want to find the difference) or any other constant. Thus, I will need to look for a single equation that could describe the differences in angle for all 3 possible input pairing.

For example, (but do remember the values could go all the way to 180° and -180°)
    Phasor 1, x1 = 0°
    Phasor 2, x2 = 120°
    Phasor 3, x3 = -120°

Does anyone have any idea what kind of equations could I use? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestion.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted