What is the Activation Energy for Juice Spoiling?

In summary, the conversation discusses the spoiling of orange juice at different temperatures and how to estimate the activation energy of the reaction causing the spoiling. The solution is to use the Arrhenius equation and the ratio of rate constants at two different temperatures. The estimated activation energy is 43.46 kJ mol^(-1) and the time it takes for juice to spoil at 40°C is 20.47 hours. There was a calculation error initially, but it has been corrected.
Saitama

Homework Statement

At room temperature (20°C) orange juice gets spoilt in about 64 hours. In a refrigerator at 3°C juice can be stored three times as long before it gets spoilt. Estimate (a) the activation energy of the reaction that causes the spoiling of juice. (b) How long should it take for juice to get spoilt at 40°C?

(Answer: (a)43.46 kJ mol^(-1) (b) 20.47 hour)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I have to use the Arrhenius equation here but I don't have the rate constants at the two temperatures. How am I supposed to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a ratio between the rate constants at two different temperatures. That is sufficient to calculate the activation energy, even if you do not know the other parameters.

mfb said:
You have a ratio between the rate constants at two different temperatures. That is sufficient to calculate the activation energy, even if you do not know the other parameters.

If ##k_1## is the rate constant at 20°C and ##k_2## at 3°C, does that mean ##k_1/k_2=3##?

mfb said:
Sure.

I tried that but I end up with a wrong answer.

From Arrhenius equation,
[tex]\ln\frac{k_1}{k_2}=-\frac{E_a}{R}\left(\frac{1}{T_1}-\frac{1}{T_2}\right)[/tex]
Plugging in the values and solving for ##E_a##, I get a wrong answer. Here's the calculation:
Wolfram|Alpha

Just a calculation error in the fridge temperature.
fixed

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
Just a calculation error in the fridge temperature.
fixed

:tongue:

Thank you!

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is the energy needed to break the bonds between reactant molecules and start the reaction.

2. How is activation energy determined?

Activation energy can be determined experimentally by measuring the rate of a reaction at different temperatures and using the Arrhenius equation to calculate the activation energy. It can also be estimated using computational methods.

3. What factors affect activation energy?

The nature of the reactants, the temperature, and the presence of a catalyst can all affect the activation energy of a reaction. Generally, reactions with stronger bonds require more energy to start and have a higher activation energy.

4. Why is activation energy important?

Activation energy is important because it determines the rate of a reaction. A lower activation energy means the reaction can occur more quickly, while a higher activation energy means the reaction will proceed at a slower rate.

5. Can activation energy be changed?

Yes, activation energy can be changed by altering the temperature or using a catalyst. Increasing the temperature generally decreases the activation energy, making the reaction occur faster. Catalysts lower the activation energy by providing an alternate pathway for the reaction to occur.