Determining All Continuous Functions s.t.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding all continuous functions that satisfy the given equation. The participants also discuss resources for learning how to approach this problem and the use of Heine's criterion for continuity. The answer is eventually found, with the knowledge that continuous functions are determined by their values on a dense subset. There are also non-constant solutions to the equation.
quddusaliquddus
I want to determine all continuous functions s.t. for all x, y reals:

f(x+y)f(x-y) = {f(x)f(y)}^2

Now, I want to know where on the web I can learn how I go about doing this, because I don't know what methods to use or what I should be aiming at in manipulating the above.

I don't want an answer - :smile: - I just want to know how to go-about if I want to do this...rather like how I know how to calculate the two roots of an equation, I'd go about factorising for example.

Thank you! :biggrin:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I realize you don't want solutions just hints, but it's always a fine line. I hope I don't cross it (I certainly won't give you the answer in full because right now I don't know it). But, have you actually considered what the function can be like? In particular, have you considered any special values of x and y? This isn't even using the continuity property (though I am presuming you mean functions from R to R), you'll find there are actually a lot of things you can prove just considering special cases.

Right, I think I have figured out the answer, and the thing you need to know about is Heine's criterion of continuity: a function is continuous at x iff for all sequences x_n tending to x, f(x_n) tends to f(x)

Cheers. As always - you can trust matt to give you his time. :)

I'm just avoiding writing my own maths down, that's all; and this is a less guilty way to 'waste' time (ie pretend it's productive) than playing golf, and counts as a reasonable use of academic resources (free permanently on broadband connection on my desk).

And I haven't solved it as it turns out - I got something the wrong way round.

Let us know how far you've got.

Last edited:
Ok, now I've got it, honest, guv. Heine isn't that useful. But knowing that a continuous function is determined by its values on a dense subset is good (and guessing what the answer might be helps as well).

matt, are there any non-constant solutions?

Yep, there are, at least I'm fairly sure - the constraints mean I can't write them out here for people with more patience than me to check my working. There are, if this isnt' giving the game away too much, an uncountable number of solutions.

Last edited:
The thing is I actually have the solution. But I don't understand how I could have come up with the answer. I don't knwo what prompted the person to follow the course of calculations that he did. Do you want to see the whole stuff i got, or would that be spoiling the fun?

It's your question to do with as you please. If you wish I can give you the observations that I made (including the mistake) that let's you figure out the solutions.

What is the definition of a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function that has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph. This means that the function is defined and has a value at every point along its domain, and the limit of the function at a given point is equal to the function's value at that point.

How do you determine if a function is continuous at a given point?

To determine if a function is continuous at a given point, you must check three conditions: 1) the function is defined at the given point, 2) the limit of the function at the given point exists, and 3) the limit and the function's value at the given point are equal.

What is the difference between a continuous function and a discontinuous function?

A continuous function is a function that has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph, while a discontinuous function has at least one point where it is not defined or its limit does not exist. In other words, a continuous function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper, while a discontinuous function cannot.

What are some common examples of continuous functions?

Some common examples of continuous functions include polynomials, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and logarithmic functions. These functions have a smooth, continuous graph without any abrupt changes or breaks.

How do you determine all continuous functions that satisfy a given condition?

To determine all continuous functions that satisfy a given condition, you must first define the condition and then solve for the function that satisfies it. This can involve using algebraic manipulations, calculus techniques, or other mathematical methods depending on the specific condition given.