What are the issues with the covariant partners in this amplitude calculation?

• Thread starter jono90one
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplitude
In summary, the speaker is asking about pair production and the amplitude involved. They have attached a photograph and have concerns about the vertex/propagator combination. They also have questions about the notation and integration process.
jono90one
Hi,
I have a question regarding pair production, regarding the amplitude that I am trying to understand.

I have attached a photograph of the feynmann diagram, which I believe to be correct - although I don't like the vertex/propogator combination as shown below: (I have split up integral so it fits onto more than 1 line)
[itex]-iM = \int u(p_{3},s_{3}) (-ie\gamma_{\mu}) \epsilon(k_{1},\lambda_{1}) [/itex]

[itex](i\frac{q_{\mu}\gamma^{mu}+m}{q^{2}-m^{2}}) [/itex]

[itex]\bar{u}(p_{4},s_{4}) (-ie\gamma_{\mu}) \epsilon(k_{2},\lambda_{2}) (2\pi)^{4} \delta^{4}(q-p_{3}-{k1}) (2\pi)^{4} \delta^{4}(q-p_{3}-{k1}) \frac{d^{4}q}{(2\pi)^4}[/itex]

(p = mmt, s = spin, k = 4-mmt, lambda = polorisation, integrated over all mmt space q.)

My questions are:
- The bit I don't like is the fact the \mu and \nu covariants don't have contravariant partners (just \gamma_{\mu} \gamma_{\nu}). If the propagator was a photon, these would nicely have partners. Isn't the idea it should be invariant, so isn't this an issue?

-Labels, I am doing the 1, 2, 3, 4 based on the order it happens in (this makes sense given time axis goes horizontally) - Are these correct?

- When I integrate this, will I get two terms, e.g. one for when [itex]q = p_{3} + p_{1}[/itex] - I guess these just add to give an overall amplitude?

-On notation, should it be u(p_{3}, s_{3}) or [itex]\bar{u}(p_{3}, s_{3})[/itex] - i.e. Am I saying, oh it's a positron, so I should make that known, or do I follow the feynmann digram and say it's an electron going backwards in time. I'm sure the former is true.

Many thanks for you help

Attachments

• 20150308_223926.jpg
    20150308_223926.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jono90one said:
he bit I don't like is the fact the \mu and \nu covariants don't have contravariant partners (just \gamma_{\mu} \gamma_{\nu}). If the propagator was a photon, these would nicely have partners. Isn't the idea it should be invariant, so isn't this an issue?

What are the [itex]\epsilon[/itex]s you have written?

jono90one said:
-Labels, I am doing the 1, 2, 3, 4 based on the order it happens in (this makes sense given time axis goes horizontally) - Are these correct?

I don't get this... also are you sure about your delta functions? you have given the same expression for both, while (I think) you wanted to apply the conservation of energy/momentum in each vertex... eg one of the deltas should have k2 and p4 in the argument.

jono90one said:
- When I integrate this, will I get two terms, e.g. one for when q=p3+p1q = p_{3} + p_{1} - I guess these just add to give an overall amplitude?

add up?

jono90one said:
-On notation, should it be u(p_{3}, s_{3}) or u¯(p3,s3)\bar{u}(p_{3}, s_{3}) - i.e. Am I saying, oh it's a positron, so I should make that known, or do I follow the feynmann digram and say it's an electron going backwards in time. I'm sure the former is true.

The 4spinors are [itex]u,v[/itex] the [itex]u[/itex] is for particles and [itex]v[/itex] for antiparticles.

1. What is amplitude and why is it important in scientific research?

Amplitude is a measure of the maximum displacement or distance from the equilibrium position of a wave. In scientific research, amplitude is important because it can provide information about the energy and intensity of a wave, which can be used to analyze and understand various natural phenomena.

2. How do scientists determine the amplitude of a wave?

Scientists determine the amplitude of a wave by measuring the distance between the equilibrium position and the maximum displacement of the wave. This can be done using specialized instruments such as an oscilloscope or by analyzing data collected from experiments.

3. What factors can affect the amplitude of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave can be affected by several factors, including the energy source of the wave, the medium through which the wave travels, and any obstacles or interference the wave encounters along its path.

4. Can the amplitude of a wave change over time?

Yes, the amplitude of a wave can change over time. This can occur due to various reasons, such as changes in the energy source, changes in the medium through which the wave travels, or interactions with other waves.

5. How is amplitude related to the frequency and wavelength of a wave?

Amplitude is not directly related to the frequency and wavelength of a wave. However, the intensity of a wave, which is determined by its amplitude, can affect the frequency and wavelength of a wave through the phenomenon of wave interference.