1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining an electric field in vector form, got the answer, just checking.

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, I finally finished the chapter and now i'm going to attempt to do some problems. Well the first problem says: A surface has the are vector A = (2[itex]\hat i + 3\hat j[/itex]m^2. What is the flux of a uniform electric field through it if the field is (a) E = 4[itex]\hat iN/C[/itex] (b) [itex] E = 4\hat k[/itex]. The answer for (a) is 8 Nm^2/C (b) 0. The answer is 8 for the first one because well (4)(2)...the j component isn't used at all because why? Also b is 0 because k isn't in the same vector as i or j, is that right or am i getting lucky?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2
    There's no j component for a. because the j component of the field you're given is 0. You're taking a dot product to find the flux, ie

[tex]\Phi_{E} = \vec{E} \cdot \vec{A}[/tex]

So, when you evauluate that and you multiply the j components, you get 3 x 0 which is of course 0. That's the same reason that b. is 0, because [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] has no k component and [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] has no i or j components.

4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    ohh!! i forgot all about that, i have to refresh on vector math! thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?