Determining arm length of catapult

In summary, the conversation is about building a catapult using a 3/4" paper clamp as the energy source. The catapult must be able to launch a 2-gram pingpong ball 1.5m and is a classic first-class lever. The problem is determining the arm length without trial and error. It is suggested to focus on torque and the tangential speed of the arm rather than centripetal acceleration.
ArrowHeart
Hi, I have a big problem...
I got a project on building a catapult. Easy, right? WRONG! We are supposed to determine the arm length without trial and error and I have no clue what to do. Please please help!

Catapult is supposed to be built with 3/4" paper clamp as the only energy source and it must project a 2gram pingpong ball 1.5m. The catapult is a classic 2nd class lever. How would I calculate the arm length?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all about torque.

ArrowHeart said:
The catapult is a classic 2nd class lever. How would I calculate the arm length?
Don't you mean a 1st class lever? A catapult has the fulcrum in the middle.

AM

Sorry, I mis-typed it. It is a first class lever.
How it is torque related? I tried to determine the centripetal acceleration, it didn't work out very well -_-'

Last edited:
ArrowHeart said:
How it is torque related? I tried to determine the centripetal acceleration, it didn't work out very well -_-'
You don't need to worry about centripetal acceleration. You are concerned about the tangential speed of the arm, which is a function of the angular acceleration or torque.

AM

What is a catapult?

A catapult is a mechanical device used to launch projectiles, typically with a lever or tension mechanism.

Why is it important to determine the arm length of a catapult?

The arm length of a catapult is important because it affects the distance and accuracy of the projectile being launched.

How do you determine the arm length of a catapult?

The arm length of a catapult can be determined by measuring the distance from the fulcrum (pivot point) to the point where the projectile is released.

What factors can affect the arm length of a catapult?

The type of projectile being launched, the tension or force used to launch the projectile, and the angle of the arm can all affect the arm length of a catapult.

Can the arm length of a catapult be adjusted?

Yes, the arm length of a catapult can be adjusted by changing the position of the fulcrum or by using different attachments on the arm to change the release point of the projectile.