Understanding BJT Voltages and Operating Point Analysis

• Thread starter JasonHathaway
  • Start date
In summary, the voltage across the base resistor is 11.3 V, the current through the base resistor is 30 uA, and the collector current is 3 mA.
JasonHathaway
Hi everyone,

I'm new to transistors analyzing, and I need a way to correctly identify the voltages.

Let's take this circuit for example:

20140618_112601.jpg

Assuming that the Emitter is the common element (The one with arrow which is connected to the ground), then VBE would be:

22222.jpg

My questions are:

1- If I want to know the common element of the transistor, shall I look for the element that is directly connected to the ground?
2- For this circuit, I've VBE - VCE + VCB =0, On which basis I can get the these voltages?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the "12" at the top right the voltage applied to the circuit? Or is that something else?

You analyze it like this:

(1) The BE junction is forward biased, so Vbe is about 0.7 V.
(2) The voltage across the base resistor is then 12.0 - 0.7 = 11.3 V.
(3) The current through the base resistor Ib = 11.3 / 376 K = .03 mA = 30 uA.
(4) The colector current Ic is beta times this. Assuming beta = 100, Ic = 3 mA.
(5) Vc = 12 - (3mA * 2 k) = 6.0 V.

Does this make sense?

Drakkith:
Yes, it's applied on the circuit.

phyzguy:
That makes sense. Now I want to determine Vcb, which is Vc - Vb. Now I've Vc, is Vb the same as Vbe (0.7)? And what's the operating point of the transistor?

JasonHathaway said:
That makes sense. Now I want to determine Vcb, which is Vc - Vb. Now I've Vc, is Vb the same as Vbe (0.7)? And what's the operating point of the transistor?

Since you now know the voltages on all three terminals (Ve, Vb, and Vc) calculating the differences is easy. Vbe = Vb - Ve, Vce = Vc-Ve, etc. What do you think the operating point is? What's the definition of operating point? Are the BE and CE junctions forward biased or reverse biased?

Actually, that what I'm asking for, the definition of the operating point. As far as I know, the operating point should be one of four regions: 1- Active (forward biased diode and reversed biased one) 2- Cut off (two reversed biased diodes) - 3- Saturation (two forward biased diodes) 4- Inverted (inverse of active).

I know that BE resamples forward biased diode, but I'm not sure about CE

In your second pic, those red + and ─ signs are wrong way 'round.

NascentOxygen

JasonHathaway said:
Actually, that what I'm asking for, the definition of the operating point. As far as I know, the operating point should be one of four regions: 1- Active (forward biased diode and reversed biased one) 2- Cut off (two reversed biased diodes) - 3- Saturation (two forward biased diodes) 4- Inverted (inverse of active).

I know that BE resamples forward biased diode, but I'm not sure about CE

Well, what is Vc? What is Vb? Is the CB junction therefore forward biased or reverse biased? Given that it is an NPN transistor, you should be able to figure this out.

1. What is a BJT?

A BJT, or bipolar junction transistor, is a type of semiconductor device that is used in electronic circuits to amplify or switch electrical signals.

2. How do you determine the voltages of a BJT?

The voltages of a BJT can be determined by using the basic BJT equations, which take into account the transistor's current, voltage, and resistance values. These equations can be solved using Kirchhoff's laws and the principles of Ohm's law.

3. What are the different types of voltages in a BJT?

There are three main types of voltages in a BJT: the base-emitter voltage (VBE), the base-collector voltage (VBC), and the collector-emitter voltage (VCE). These voltages play a crucial role in determining the behavior and performance of the transistor.

4. How do you measure the voltages of a BJT?

The voltages of a BJT can be measured using a multimeter, which is a device that is used to measure electrical properties such as voltage, current, and resistance. By connecting the multimeter to the appropriate points on the BJT, the voltages can be accurately measured.

5. What factors can affect the voltages of a BJT?

There are several factors that can affect the voltages of a BJT, including temperature, biasing conditions, and the load connected to the transistor. It is important to consider these factors when determining the voltages of a BJT in order to ensure proper functioning and performance.