1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Coulomb's constant

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determining Coulomb's constant through a force vs. separation distance graph.

2. Relevant equations

F = kqQ/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I'm a little confused about what I should do! We were shown a video of two charges moving towards each other. We were given force/distance data, and I used this to plot a graph. However, I need to make a straight line in the graph...which can be done by working with the equation u = 1/r^2. I've tried using the force values and the distance values but to no avail. I used the distance values as r and then sub those into the x-axis, which is what I did ... so should I simply try to change the scale of the graph ... or something else

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, uflash.
    So, you are trying to find the k, right?
    The usual approach is to make a graph whose slope is the thing you want to find. You must make F = kqQ/r² look like y = mx so you would choose x to be qQ/r² and y to be F. Then the slope will be k. That is, graph F vs qQ/r² and find the slope.

4. Jul 19, 2011 #3
    if u =1/r2

then F = ( KqQ ) u , which closely resembles the straight line equation y = mx +b.

where F represents the "y" values, kqQ is the slope, and u represents the "x" values. In this case, the "b" value (y-intercept) equals zero.

so , try substituting u= 1/r2 values into the x-axis to get the solpe .

5. Jul 19, 2011 #4
    Thank you so much! That really cleared it up for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook