Determining eigenvalue problem

In summary, the conversation was about a person trying to teach themselves quantum mechanics and successfully solving a question about eigenvalues using an operator and an eigenstate equation. The person also requested help to confirm their answer.
thepopasmurf
I'm trying to teach myself quantum mechanics using a book I got. I made an attempt at one of the questions but there are no solutions or worked examples so I'm wondering if I got it right.

Here it goes

Homework Statement

Suppose an observable quantity corresponds to the operator [tex]\hat{B}= -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex].

For a particular system, the eigenstates of this operator are
[tex]\Psi(x)=Asin\frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex], where n = 1,2,3,...; A is the normalisation constant

Determine the eigenvalues of [tex]\hat{B}[/tex] for this case

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{A}\psi_{j}=a_{j}\psi_{j}[/tex] I think

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the operator on [tex]\psi[/tex] and differenciated twice to get
[tex]\frac{\hbar^2 n^2 \pi^2}{2mL^2}ASin\frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]
this corresponds to [tex]a_j\psi_j[/tex] so my answer for the eigenvalues is

[tex] \frac{\hbar^2 n^2 \pi^2}{2mL^2} [/tex]

This is my first attempt at anything like this so any help is welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
You are 100% correct. Congratulations on your first successful attempt. :approve:

What is an eigenvalue problem?

An eigenvalue problem involves finding the values of a given matrix that satisfy a specific equation. These values are called eigenvalues, and they are often used in physics, engineering, and other fields to describe the behavior of systems or phenomena.

Why is determining eigenvalues important?

Determining eigenvalues allows us to understand the behavior of a system or phenomenon by identifying the key values that affect it. This can help us make predictions, solve problems, and gain insights into complex systems.

What methods are used to solve eigenvalue problems?

There are several methods used to solve eigenvalue problems, including the power method, the inverse iteration method, and the Jacobi method. Each method has its own strengths and weaknesses, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

How do you interpret the results of an eigenvalue problem?

The results of an eigenvalue problem are the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of a given matrix. The eigenvalues represent the key values that affect the system, while the eigenvectors represent the directions in which the system can change. By analyzing these results, we can gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of the system.

Are there real-world applications of eigenvalue problems?

Yes, eigenvalue problems have numerous real-world applications. They are used in physics to describe the behavior of quantum systems, in engineering to analyze structures and vibrations, and in data analysis to identify patterns and trends. They are also used in many other fields, such as economics, chemistry, and computer science.