1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Electric Flux for cylindrical surfaces

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Cylin. surfaces [tex]\rho[/tex] = 1 , 2 , 3, cm have uniform surface charge density of 20, -8, 5 nC/m^2.

What is the total electric flux that passes through the closed surface [tex]rho[/tex] = 4 cm and z(from 0 to 1 m)?

And what is [tex]\vec{D}[/tex] at the point [tex]\rho[/tex]= 4 cm , [tex]\phi[/tex]= 0 , z = .5 cm

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Phi[/tex]= E2piRL=[tex]\lambda[/tex]L/8.85x10-12
    E = [tex]\rho[/tex]/(2pi8.85x10^-12 [tex]\rho[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

So the closed surface from which to determine the flux is at [tex]\rho[/tex] = .04 m

I frankly am unsure how to use the equations to get the total flux.

[tex]\Phi[/tex]1 = 20(.01)/8.85x10^-12
    [tex]\Phi[/tex]2= -8(.02)/8.85x10^-12
    [tex]\Phi[/tex]3= 5(.03)/8.85x10^-12

Is it as simple as adding them all up? Or does the center most cylindrical surface at 1 cm have an affect on 2 cm surface which then in turn affects the 3 cm? I have a feeling this is completely wrong so I attempted it a different way

total flux = sum of the integrals?

I obviously am struggling with this concept any help would be appreciated Thanks!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted