1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining equations for plane with one point and parallel to plane with an equation

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine vector and parametric equations for the plane containing the point A(2, 3, -1) and parallel to the plane with equation (x, y, z) = (2, 1, -3) + s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4). Show your work.

2. Relevant equations
    Vector and parametric
    This a strange equation that I have never seen before because it has 2 parameters: s and t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the parametric equation for the x, y,z equation
    x=2+5s+3t
    y=1+2s-2t
    z=-3-t+4t

Am I supposed to find the direction vector? In one of my notes is says that the direction vector is perpendicular to the plane's normal vector but I don't know if it applies here?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi unknown101! :smile:

I think what they mean by "vector and parametric equations" is that the vector and parametric equation for the original plane is (x, y, z) = (2, 1, -3) + s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4) :wink:

4. Mar 29, 2009 #3
    Re: Determining equations for plane with one point and parallel to plane with an equa

So would the equation for the new equation be (x,y,z)=(2,3,-1)+s(5, 2, -1) + t(3, -2, 4).

5. Mar 29, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup! :biggrin:

6. Mar 29, 2009 #5
    Re: Determining equations for plane with one point and parallel to plane with an equa

Thanks a lot:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook