1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining if a function has a cusp, vertical tangent, corner or none at a point

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At x=3 does the function y=x^3 + (x-3)^(1/3) have a vertical tangent, cusp, corner or none?

3. The attempt at a solution

I took the derivative

y'=3x^2 + 1 / 3x^(2/3) then i replaced 3 in which gave 27 + 1 / 0

I don't understand how to come to the correct conclusion following this step.

Vertical tangent comes to mind since 1 / 0 is a vertical line, but I don't know how to prove it using limits.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean y'=3x^2 + 1 / 3(x-3)^(2/3), right? If you approach x=3 from below then y' goes to +infinity. I you approach it from above it also goes to +infinity. y is also continuous at x=3. Looks like a vertical tangent to me.
  4. Jan 24, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is that really what you got?? It's either a typo or a mis-calculation.

If you have a positive infinite limit from both the left right that suggests a vertical line alright. You can tell whether it is vertical tangent line or cusp by looking at concavity on each side of x = 3.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook