1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Interparticle Force

1. May 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Indentify the interparticle force between the solvent and solute. If you feel that one force holds more solute to solvent, then list them in order of strongest to weakest.

(a) CF3CH2OH in H2O
    (b) NH4+ in H20(l)
    (c) C5H12 in C9H20
    (d) NO3- (nitrate ion) in CH3OH
    (e) CH3COO- (acetate ion) in H2O

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) Hydrogen Force
    (b) Ion- Dipole Force
    (c) Dispersion Force
    (d) Hydrogen Force
    (e) Ion-Dipole Force

I always confuse myself when I'm doing these types of questions...What is the general rule I should follow to have success in answering these questions? firstly, am i right with my attempt?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2007 #2
    Dispersion forces are the attractions between opposite ends of temporary induced dipoles, Dipole-Dipole forces are the attraction between oppositely charged ends of permanent dipoles, and Hydrogen bonds are the unusually strong diploe-diploe forces in hydrogen compounds of Flourine, Oxygen, and Nitrogen.
    Permanent diploes are the result of the separation of charge in bonds between atoms of different electronegativity (ex. H-Cl). A temporary diploe is the result of shifts in electron density (ex. the dispersion forces between H2 molecules)
    and Finally: Dispersion forces are weak (but can be strong in larger atoms), dipole-diploe forces are moderate, and hydrogen bonding is the strongest.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?