Determining intersection depth of two polyhedra in a specific direction?

In summary: Another option is to use an MPR algorithm, which can help determine the correct triangular face of the polyhedral hull that the ray from the origin will intersect with. However, finding detailed explanations of this algorithm for 3D can be challenging.
Pondwater
I finally got my GJK algorithm working and now i want to be able to find the depth of the intersection of the two polyhedra in a particular direction (the direction of momentum).

I figure the best way would be to find the distance from the origin of the minkowski difference to the hull of the minkowski difference. Is this the most efficient means?

If so, I am having several problems which include:

A) efficiently calculating only the vertices located on the hull of the minkowski difference
B) determining which triangular face of the polyhedral hull the ray from the origin will intersect with

I've been told using an MPR algorithm would help me find the correct triangular face to intersect, but i can't find any in depth explanations of that algorithm, especially in 3D.

Any help is greatly appretiated!

Technology news on Phys.org
The best way to calculate the depth of the intersection of two polyhedra in a particular direction is to perform the Minkowski Difference of the two polyhedra. This can be done by subtracting the vertices of one polyhedron from the other, resulting in a new polyhedron known as the Minkowski Difference. Once you have the Minkowski Difference, you can then use a GJK Algorithm to find the vertices located on the hull of the Minkowski Difference and determine the minimum distance from the origin to the hull. Finally, you can take the vector from the origin to the closest point on the hull and use it to calculate the depth of the intersection in the desired direction.

1. What is the purpose of determining the intersection depth of two polyhedra in a specific direction?

The purpose of determining the intersection depth of two polyhedra in a specific direction is to measure the distance between the two objects at a particular angle or direction. This can be useful in various fields, such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering, to understand the relationship and potential collisions between objects.

2. How is the intersection depth calculated?

The intersection depth is calculated by first determining the intersection points between the two polyhedra. Then, using the intersection points, the distance between the two objects in the specific direction can be measured. This distance is the intersection depth.

3. Can the intersection depth be negative?

Yes, the intersection depth can be negative. This indicates that the two polyhedra do not intersect in the specified direction and that one object is behind the other in that direction.

4. What is the significance of determining the intersection depth in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, determining the intersection depth is crucial for rendering realistic and accurate images. It allows for the creation of 3D models with accurate depth and perspective, as well as detecting and preventing objects from intersecting and causing glitches or errors in the rendering.

5. Are there any limitations to determining the intersection depth of two polyhedra?

Yes, there are limitations to determining the intersection depth of two polyhedra. The accuracy of the measurement depends on the complexity of the objects and the precision of the calculations. In some cases, the intersection depth may be impossible to determine due to overlapping or intersecting surfaces.