1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining invertibility

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataWe have a linear transformation: T(x,y)=(x-2y,y,3x+4y). Determine whether T is invertible.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

the basis of the image is (1,0,3) and (-2,1,4). I really have no clue how to proceed from here. I mean i can't even write (1,0) and (0,1) as an linear combination of the image vectors since they dont have the same dimension.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume you mean T as a function from R2 to the image of T (so it is necessarily "onto"). Then the only thing you need to show is that T is one-to-one. Suppose T(x, y)= T(x', y'). T(x,y)= (x-2y,y,3x+4y)= T(x',y')= (x'-2y',y',3x'+4y'). That is, x- 2y= x'- 2y', y= y', 3x+4y= 3x'+4y'. Can you show that x= x', y= y'?

Added after thought: The fact that your two basis vectors for the image, (1, 0, 3) and (-2, 1, 4) are independent shows that your transformation is from a two dimensional space onto a two dimensional space and so is one-to-one and invertible.

4. Apr 27, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Aren't your image basis vectors just T(1,0) and T(0,1)?
    Your basis for the image of T is a two-dimensional subspace of R3, and is a plane through the origin. If v is any vector in R3 that is not on this plane, can there be some vector in R2 that maps to v? I.e., is there some vector u in R2 such that T(u) = v, where v is as described above?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook