Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Isomorphisms

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    Hey I have a problem in which I need to show that a linear transformation is an isomorphism with another linear transformation. However I don't really understand what an isomorphism is, and how you would even determine it??

I already showed that the Kernal of one transformation was the same as the Range of another transformation is that helps any? I am looking for help on the concept and idea, I wouldn't consider this to be a homework problem??? I'm new here, don't really know the rules and regulations that well.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2
    Two vector spaces V and W are said to be isomorphic if there is a bijective (invertible) linear transformation T:V->W, in which case T is called an isomorphism from V to W. It doesn't make sense to speak of a linear transformation being an isomorphism with another linear transformation, they would just be isomorphisms on their own. Posting the question would help clear things up more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook