Can Mass Flow Rate Determine Pipe Length?

In summary, to accurately determine the length of a pipe, you will need a measuring tape or ruler, a level, and a pen or marker. To measure the length of a pipe, place the level against the pipe to ensure it is straight and use the measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance from one end to the other. It is not possible to determine the length of a pipe without measuring, but you can use a formula if you know the diameter and thickness. The most common units of measurement for pipe length are inches, feet, and meters, but other units may also be used. To account for bends or curves, you can either measure along the curve with a flexible measuring tape or ruler, or calculate the length of the straight
emilynb
I have a mass flow rate, an area for the pipe and thus the diameter. I need to know the length of the pipe, but I end up with one equation and 2 unknowns. Is it possible to use the mass flow rate to somehow find the volume, which, in turn I can use to calculate the length? Or, any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question or a real-world question? In either case, you don't have enough information to answer it. Pipe length is rarely something to be calculated.

1. What tools are needed to measure the length of a pipe?

To accurately determine the length of a pipe, you will need a measuring tape or ruler, a level, and a pen or marker to mark the measurements.

2. How do you measure the length of a pipe?

To measure the length of a pipe, first, place the level against the pipe to ensure it is straight. Then, use the measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance from one end of the pipe to the other, making sure to start and end at the same point on the pipe.

3. Can you determine the length of a pipe without measuring?

It is not possible to accurately determine the length of a pipe without measuring it. However, if you know the diameter and thickness of the pipe, you can use a formula to calculate the length.

4. What are the common units of measurement for pipe length?

The most commonly used units of measurement for pipe length are inches, feet, and meters. However, depending on the size and purpose of the pipe, other units such as centimeters or millimeters may also be used.

5. How do you account for bends or curves in a pipe when measuring its length?

To account for bends or curves in a pipe, you can either measure along the curve using a flexible measuring tape or ruler, or you can calculate the length of the straight sections and add them together to get an estimate of the total length.