Determining Limits: Simplifying Nasty Denominator

• Thread starter SpringPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the concept of determining limits is a key principle in calculus that helps us understand the behavior of a function near a certain point. To simplify a nasty denominator in a limit expression, we can use techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, or using the conjugate. However, there are cases where a nasty denominator cannot be simplified, such as when the expression has a zero in the denominator or is an indeterminate form. Simplifying a nasty denominator is important in determining limits as it allows for accurate and efficient evaluation of the limit and avoids potential errors.
SpringPhysics

Homework Statement

Determine the limit as x approaches 0 of

f(x) = [(1+x)1/2 - 1] / [(1+x)1/3 - 1]

Homework Equations

I am not allowed to use L'Hopital's Rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied by the conjugate of the numerator and got a nasty denominator that I cannot simplify nicely. Can someone give me a lead?

Physics news on Phys.org
May you use taylor series?

mathmadx said:
May you use taylor series?

I just found out that I should multiply by an expression to get a sum of cubes (totally forgot about that). =P

(Thread can be closed now.)

What is the concept of determining limits?

The concept of determining limits is a fundamental principle in calculus that allows us to analyze the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It helps us understand the behavior of a function near a certain point without actually evaluating the function at that point.

How do you simplify a nasty denominator in a limit expression?

To simplify a nasty denominator in a limit expression, we can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing the denominator, or using the conjugate. These techniques help us manipulate the expression and eliminate any complex or undefined terms in the denominator, making it easier to evaluate the limit.

What are some common types of nasty denominators in limit expressions?

Some common types of nasty denominators in limit expressions include radicals, fractions with variables, and expressions with trigonometric functions. These types of denominators can make it difficult to evaluate the limit, but with the right techniques, they can be simplified.

Can we always simplify a nasty denominator in a limit expression?

No, there are cases where a nasty denominator cannot be simplified. For example, if the expression has a zero in the denominator or if the limit is an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, then we cannot simplify the denominator.

Why is simplifying a nasty denominator important in determining limits?

Simplifying a nasty denominator is important in determining limits because it allows us to evaluate the limit accurately and efficiently. It helps us avoid potential errors in our calculations and gives us a clearer understanding of the behavior of the function as its input approaches a specific value.