Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining matched pairs

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1
    I am having a little problem tackling this problem. I cant seem to figure out if this is a matched pair or not. What we would like to study is "whether the mean undergraduate debt of Hispanic students graduating in 2005 is less than the mean undergraduate debt of Asian-American students graduating in 2005". The word undergraduate is causing the problem. I am leaning towards independent pairs but i thought i should consult here first.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Independent t-test with equal or unequal sample sizes (as the case may be).

4. Nov 21, 2007 #3
    That is exactly what i thought. It is of unequal variances (Good thing i did the f-test). Anyways thanks for the help. Btw if some one does care, there is enough evidence to infer that the mean the mean undergraduate debt of Hispanic students graduating in 2005 is less than the mean undergraduate debt of Asian-American students graduating in 2005

5. Nov 21, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you controlling for the major/department/college/city/state, etc.? These characteristics may or may not be uniform across cultural backgrounds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?