1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining My Safety School

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    I'm about to apply to graduate (mathematics) schools coming the end of November since app deadlines are early to mid December and I seem to be having a hard time finding a good safety school.

My GPA: 3.65 Overall, 3.75 (Math Upperdivision) from Berkeley
    My GPA: 3.9 Overall, from San Francisco State University (transf. to Berk at 2 years)
    GRE QUANT: 800
    GRE VERBAL: 470 (rather low, but since I'm a math major I hope they put less emphasis on it)
    GRE SUBJECT: Unknown (I think I got around the 90th percentile just from my reaction to taking the test)
    I'm also graduating with honors.

So far I think I'm going to apply to:

New York Univ.

All thats left is to find a good backup school incase my wanted univ's turn me down. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions that have a good math department. I'm unsure of what area in math I want to study so its hard for me to discern between schools based on the faculty. (Keeping in mind this is a safety school, keep suggestions to those I have a good chance of getting in)

The current backup I'm looking at is Purdue, though I'm not settled on the matter in any real sense. I just wanted to hear some feedback and get other opinions.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted