How can I determine orbital elements using observations of an asteroid's motion?

In summary, the individual is interested in using their new telescope to observe and track an asteroid, and is looking for resources on how to determine the orbital elements of the asteroid. A helpful resource suggested is the NASA website and an article on asteroid 1 Ceres, along with a book by D. McNally on positional astronomy.
VantagePoint72
Hi everyone,
My latest acquisition is an 8"-dobsonian mounted telescope, and I thought I'd try a bit of asteroid observing. What I would like to do is record the asteroid's position over the course of several observations and as a mathematical exercise, calculate its orbit. I know how to use to a set of orbital elements to calculate an object's position, both heliocentric and geocentric in terms of RA and dec., however I'm having trouble finding resources on how to determine the orbital elements in the first place using observations showing the asteroid's motion. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

LOS

Astronomy news on Phys.org
See this article on asteroid 1 Ceres:-

http://www.selsyn.co.uk/pkent/p/3c31p2.html [Broken]

There is a series of references at the foot of that page, of which D. McNally's book Positional Astronomy is one I read ages back, and I would recommend as a good guide.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are orbital elements?

Orbital elements are a set of parameters that describe the shape, orientation, and position of an object's orbit around another object in space.

2. How are orbital elements determined?

Orbital elements are determined by observing the object's position and velocity over time and using mathematical equations to calculate the parameters that best fit the observed data.

3. What are the most important orbital elements?

The most important orbital elements are the semi-major axis, eccentricity, inclination, longitude of the ascending node, and argument of periapsis. These parameters determine the size, shape, and orientation of an orbit.

4. Why are orbital elements important?

Orbital elements provide valuable information about the motion and behavior of objects in space. They are essential for predicting future positions and trajectories of objects, as well as understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies and their interactions.

5. How do scientists use orbital elements?

Scientists use orbital elements to study and analyze the orbits of planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and other objects in our solar system and beyond. They also use them to plan and execute space missions, such as satellite launches and spacecraft trajectories.