1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining particle charge

1. Jun 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a charged object having 25 microcoulombs on it breaks into two pieces. if the force of repulsion between the two pieces i 1000newtons when the pieces are 3cm apart, what is the charge on each piece? assume pieces act as a point charges

2. Relevant equations

E = F/qtest = k(qa)/r^2 where F is the attractive/repulsive force

F = k(qa)(qb)/r^2 where k is 9*10^9, qa is charge of one piece, qb is charge of other piece, r is the radius between pieces

3. The attempt at a solution

firstly, do i assume the parts broken into are the same size/charge as eachother? i don't think so, correct?

basically i used the second eq and set F = 1000, r = 0.03m, k = 9*10^9 and solved for qa in terms of qb

i then used the first eq and subbed in F =1000, qtest = 25*10^-6 coulombs and set that equal to kqa/r^2, where i subbed in what i got from the second eq in for qa and solved for qb

i got 2.5*ac^-5 coulombs for qb, i used qb in the second eq and got a qa of 4*10^-6

i know i did something wrong because when i sum the charges of each piece, qa and qb, i get less than the entire charge value given (25 microcoulombs). i get a sum of 2.9*10^-5 coulombs

is my approach even close, help appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK you starting from the right place, but I think you making this more complicated than it has to be:

[tex]F=1000N=\frac{kq_aq_b}{r^2}[/tex]

The problem is that you have two variables, q_a and q_b.

HINT: Can you plug in and expression for q_b in terms of q_a in the above equation using what you know? Think conservation of charge. If so, you should then be able to solve for q_a, and thus, q_b using the expression you used previously.

4. Jun 2, 2008 #3
    how about substituting in (25*10^-6 - q_a) in for q_b where 25*10^-6 is 25 microcoulombs?

when i subbed that in for q_b the eq you gave produced a quadratic equation in terms of q_a, i did the quadratic formula and got 225415.9 and -415.9

i'm not too sure on units because it is coulombs that is impossible... help?

__________%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%________________

actually i incorrectly calculated the quadratic eq, for q_a i got 1.99*10^-5 and 5.05*10^-6 coulombs, which one do i use for q_a? i'm guessing the second one...

well i chose correctly because when i subbed that value back in and solved for b i got 1.98*10^5
    so q_a + q_b = 2.5*10^-5 =25*10^-6 = 25 microcoulombs
    1.98*10^-5 + 5.05*10^-6 = 2.5*10^-5

YES correct!!

Thanks so much G01

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  5. Jun 3, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Anytime. Good Job! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?