What Is the Correct pH of a 0.15-M NaX Solution?

• Thread starter confusedbyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the pH of a 0.15-M aqueous solution of NaX can be found by first determining the hydrolysis constant Kh in terms of Ka and Kw, then using the relation between the concentration of the species at equilibrium to find the concentration of OH- and hence the pH. The pH will be above 7, since NaX is a salt of a strong base and weak acid. The pH cheat sheet may be useful for experts who have already derived the formula, but it is important for the original poster to understand the concepts involved in order to effectively use it.
confusedbyphysics
K(a) for HX is 7.5 x 10^-12. What is the pH of a 0.15-M aqueous solution of NaX?

a. 7.87
b. 1.85
c. 5.97
d. 8.03
e. 12.15

HX --> H+ + X-

I found H+ concentration, which is 1.06 X 10-6, then found pH of this, and it is 5.97. I wasn't sure where to go from here so I guessed 5.97 and it is wrong (I get another guess).

How do I go from finding the pH of the HX to finding the pH of the NaX? 14 - 5.97 - 8.03 which is an answer, but I'm not sure why I'd do this? isn't the conjugate base just the X-? Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, since NaX is the salt of a strong base and weak acid, the salt will be basic on hydrolysis. So you can eliminate all answers below 7.

HX --> H+ + X-
I found H+ concentration, which is 1.06 X 10-6, then found pH of this, and it is 5.97. I wasn't sure where to go from here so I guessed 5.97 and it is wrong (I get another guess).

That's wrong, because that's not the hydrolysis equilibrium for the salt. What happens is that the X- will react with water to form HX and OH-.
You will first need to find the Hydrolysis constant Kh in terms of Ka and Kw.
Then write down the relation between the concentration of the species at equilibrium. Since you know Kh (becaues you know Ka and Kw), and the initial concentration, you will be able to find the concentration of OH- and hence the pH.

Last edited:
Check out this pH cheat sheet. But you can't use it before you will understand what you are doing :smile:

Borek, that cheat sheet isn't very useful if the OP doesn't actually understand what's happening. In fact, it would encourage people to blindly apply a formula without actually learning the concepts.

The sheet will be useful and will save time only for experts like you, who have already derived it by hand and know what's happening.

siddharth said:
The sheet will be useful and will save time only for experts like you, who have already derived it by hand and know what's happening.

Well, it seems to me you know enough to use it :smile:

Borek said:
Well, it seems to me you know enough to use it :smile:

Yeah, but does the original poster know?

I wanted confusedbyphysics to actually derive that equation by himself/herself, instead of looking up the final formula, because then confusedbyphysics would have understood some of the concepts involved.

Well, I stated "you can't use it before you will understand what you are doing". So if he tries - he does it on his own risk :wink:

Sorry for interfering with your pedagogical plan :smile:

1. How do I determine the pH of a solution?

To determine the pH of a solution, you will need to use a pH meter or pH test strips. These tools measure the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution, which determines its acidity or basicity. You can also use indicators, such as litmus paper, to visually determine the pH.

2. What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a numerical scale used to measure the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Solutions with a pH below 7 are considered acidic, while solutions with a pH above 7 are considered basic.

3. How do I interpret the pH results?

If the pH of a solution is below 7, it is considered acidic, with lower pH values indicating a higher acidity. If the pH is above 7, the solution is basic, with higher pH values indicating a higher basicity. A pH of 7 is neutral.

4. What factors can affect the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be affected by various factors, such as the concentration of hydrogen ions, temperature, and the presence of acids or bases. Adding an acid to a solution will decrease the pH, while adding a base will increase it.

5. How can I correct a pH problem in a solution?

If the pH of a solution is not at the desired level, you can correct it by adding an acid or base to adjust the concentration of hydrogen ions. You can also dilute the solution or use a buffer, which helps to maintain a stable pH level.