• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Determining poles of magnet

waley

Homework Statement

Determine the direction of the dipole moment of a magnet with unknown poles. You are given a Hall probe and can use other devices commonly found in a lab.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking since the Hall probe uses voltage to determine the strength of the magnetic field at certain places, could I just measure the voltage at these points and compare them? But I wasn't sure how I can use this info to draw a conclusion. Like would the voltage at N be greater than at S?

Answers and Replies

scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Is this too simple? Would devices commonly found in the lab include other bar magnets (with poles marked) or a compass needle. You can magnetize a paper clip and suspend it in a jar to make your own compass needle. If you know which way north is, then you know which end of the needle is North.

waley
Is this too simple? Would devices commonly found in the lab include other bar magnets (with poles marked) or a compass needle. You can magnetize a paper clip and suspend it in a jar to make your own compass needle. If you know which way north is, then you know which end of the needle is North.
I had to paraphrase the question a little, or I'd have to have posted the entire lab. We have to prove this with things we used in the lab: oscillators, toroids, solenoids, circuit pieces, magnets, DC generators, gaussmeters and a couple other things I can't remember. Basically, we can't use any of the "use a compass" or "compare it to another magnet of known polarity" or the paper clip method you mentioned.