1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining resistivity of a conductor by resistance using the 4-point probe techniq

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In our lab recently we measured the resistance of copper as a function of length. I plotted a graph with resistance as the dependent variable and length/area as the independent variable. I know the slope of the best fit line is equal to the resistivity of copper and that my ideal y-intercept is to be zero using the four-point probe technique.

My question is with the meaning of my y-intercept. The equation of the best fit line gives me a negative y-intercept. I want to comment on possible error or meaning behind this negative y-intercept but I am not sure what it means. Does it have something to do with contact resistance? I know when measuring using two probes the y-intercept would be equal to the sum of the contact resistances.

2. Relevant equations

Here is the equation of my best fit line: 1.76 x 10^-5 ohm-mm - .01309 ohms
    Known resistivity of copper: 1.70 x 10^-5 ohm-mm

3. The attempt at a solution

A concern during the lab was making sure to scrape off all of the insulation surrounding the copper wire before taking resistance meausrements, so I realize why my slope or resistivity is a little high. Would this somehow affect my y-intercept as well?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted