1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining satellite power output?

1. Jul 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question wants us to determine what the power output of a 2.32 GHz geosynchronous satellite that has an antenna gain of 18 dB be for a mobile receiver that is operating with an effective antenna gain of 3 dB in order to achieve the FM threshold (6 dB).

2. Relevant equations

Not sure

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not certain what to do with this problem at all. I know the altitude is about 36,000 km above the equator. I'm thinking of doing something with EIRP, but we don't have transmit power. I believe that the FM threshold of 6 dB is the C/N, but I'm not certain of that. It seems like we're missing info, but I was told that everything we need to solve the problem is given.

What I really need is a boost in the right direction! If someone could give me a hint to help me get started, I'd be appreciative!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?