Determining satellite power output?

In summary, to determine the power output of the geosynchronous satellite, you will need to use the equation for link budget and convert the antenna gain to a linear scale. Then, plug in the given values for the satellite's frequency and altitude to solve for the transmitted power.
L.J.Tibbs

Homework Statement

The question wants us to determine what the power output of a 2.32 GHz geosynchronous satellite that has an antenna gain of 18 dB be for a mobile receiver that is operating with an effective antenna gain of 3 dB in order to achieve the FM threshold (6 dB).

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not certain what to do with this problem at all. I know the altitude is about 36,000 km above the equator. I'm thinking of doing something with EIRP, but we don't have transmit power. I believe that the FM threshold of 6 dB is the C/N, but I'm not certain of that. It seems like we're missing info, but I was told that everything we need to solve the problem is given.

What I really need is a boost in the right direction! If someone could give me a hint to help me get started, I'd be appreciative!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To solve this problem, you will need to use the equation for link budget, which is used to calculate the power budget for a communication link. The equation is as follows:

Power received = Power transmitted + Gains - Losses

In this case, the power received is the FM threshold of 6 dB, and the power transmitted is what we are trying to find. The gains are the antenna gains of the satellite and the mobile receiver, and the losses are any losses in the signal due to atmospheric effects or other factors.

To start, you will need to convert the antenna gain of 18 dB to a linear scale. This can be done using the equation:

Antenna gain (linear) = 10^(antenna gain (dB)/10)

Once you have this value, you can plug it into the equation for link budget, along with the given values for the satellite's frequency and altitude, to solve for the transmitted power.

I hope this helps get you started! Let me know if you need any further assistance.

1. How is the power output of a satellite determined?

The power output of a satellite is typically determined through a combination of theoretical calculations and measurements taken during testing. This involves factors such as the size and type of solar panels, the efficiency of the power system, and the expected orbit of the satellite.

2. What is the main source of power for satellites?

The main source of power for satellites is solar energy. Solar panels on the satellite's surface convert sunlight into electricity, which is then stored in batteries for use when the satellite is not in direct sunlight.

3. How does the power output of a satellite affect its capabilities?

The power output of a satellite directly affects its capabilities, as it determines the amount of energy available for use by the satellite's systems. A higher power output allows for more advanced and energy-intensive functions, such as larger communication bandwidth or more precise navigation.

4. Can the power output of a satellite be increased?

In most cases, the power output of a satellite cannot be increased once it is in orbit. However, some satellites have the ability to deploy additional solar panels or use other power generation methods, such as nuclear energy, to increase their power output.

5. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their power output calculations?

Scientists use a combination of computer simulations and ground testing to ensure the accuracy of their power output calculations. They also take into account factors such as the degradation of solar panels over time and the effects of solar flares or other external factors on the satellite's power system.